1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD - Some program data not missing

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by willp2, Jul 21, 2013.

1. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hello, my Tivo HD's guide seems to be damaged or something. If I bring up the guide, everything seems to be there, but if I go into a show and look for additional showings, none are there for most shows.

As a result, most shows aren't recording. Some are, but most aren't.

I did the guided setup and nothing has changed.

is there any way to fix this without losing all my season passes and recorded shows?

Thanks

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Have you done troubleshooting step #1 and rebooted it?
    After that I'd force a manual service connection to Tivo

3. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Sorry, step #1 of what exactly?

I have did reboot and force a manual connection however.

4. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Troubleshooting step #1 in almost any situation is "reboot/restart the device" as much as folks like to think they have common sense, the number of times someone has not done a reboot is always higher than we'd suspect, thus I had to ask.

Sub-rule #1A, never assume the OP did anything unless they say so explicitly. :)

5. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    And here I was thinking I was missing an FAQ or something :)

I work in IT and yes agreed, first thing we do is have people reboot. If people ever figure that out on their own, I'll be out of a job.

So yes, I did do several reboots as this has been going on for awhile now. I also tried a kick start 57 for good measure.

If I do end up having to wipe this thing out, is there a way to restore the season passes? I'd think its odd that you can transfer them to a new box, but not back to the same one.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If it was a Premiere you could back up your SPs with kmttg, but I don't think that works on S3s.

In the old days if you subscribed to Guru Guides or turned on Kid Zone your SPs would be backed up to TiVo's webservers and would restore in the case of catastrophic failure. I'm not sure if that still works.

I'd grab my phone, go into the SP Manager, and start taking screen pics.

P.S. If you have another TiVo you can copy them to it online at tivo.com.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hit the Guide button on the remote, go to any channel, go to the right, and then use the channel down button and see how far into the future you can go.

8. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    It's got a couple of weeks of programming listed and it will add more when it connects.

But if I go into any show and try and look at additional showings, there are none there. Even shows that are listed back to back in the guide. So a marathon of a show is running and I select one and look for additional showings and there are none there listed.

There are a hand full of shows, mostly stuff that records in the morning for some reason that are working and have all the info.

9. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Force a re-calculation by swapping the order of a couple of lower numbered Season Passes.

10. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I have now tried that. I also tried running the guided setup again, but picked a different cable provider entirely, hoping to get it reset completely to different info.

Then once that was done I ran through it again and reset it to the correct provider and I'm still getting the same thing. The guide is there full of program data, but if you go to view additional showings nothing is there. And the to do list shows only a few shows that for some reason seem to be not affected by this.

Very odd stuff.

11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    At this point I'd offload the recordings to a PC, then replace the drive with a new image on a fresh larger drive. A fresh image is available in a few threads, time for that 2TB expansion!

12. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Sadly I'm just not sure I'm willing to do that at this point. While I love my Tivo, it's getting harder and harder to justify the trouble and the cost.

I'll have to think about this and see if its maybe time to give up on it and move to something else. :(

13. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Buh Bye! :)

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If you use a Tuning Adapter try either powering it down for 4 hours or disconnecting the USB cable for 4 hours. There are several strange behaviors that this fixes, although I haven't heard of the particular one you're having.

What is the GC date in System Information, third screen? If this is a week or more old, that is probably causing the problem and can usually be fixed by <see first paragraph>.

15. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Nice. I guess I was hoping for someone to set me straight as I just hate the idea of using a cable company DVR. But thanks, that helps make the decision a little easier.

The GC date is yesterday. I do have to do the power down thing every few weeks to keep my guide data up to date. And I did leave it off yesterday for good measure when I did the guided setup again.

Thanks again for trying to help with this.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't give up on the TiVo just yet on account of one snarky reply from someone who really should be old enough to know better.

17. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Well now I've had a couple random reboots, so I'm thinking hard drive.

Now I'm debating either the cable co DVR or double down and get a Premier 4. Is there any way the get a new Tivo but keep my current rate?

18. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Yes

You caught me on a bad day. Sorry

Disk corruption and problems sure can cause all sorts of symptoms
    Due to db errors during read

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Most likely, but you would have to purchase the new DVR through TiVo, and pay full price for the hardware.

20. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    That is one of my pet peeves about tivo. No upgrade discount, no tools to transfer programs to a new tivo and very flakey season pass transfer options. Tivohd to premiere do not work right

Worse is not allowing transfer of lifetime service for a fee, like half new purchase