1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO HD (S3 lite) was on Tivo.com! Update 6:35 CST: Tivo Just Yanked It!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dvr4me, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Tivo's website is being updated with the Tivo HD (formerly known as the S3 lite)!

(deleted)

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Nice screen shot - hopefully this means that the TTG rumor is true too! :)

3. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    They are showing it as "sold out" the last time I checked. Could they be moving that fast? :eek:

4. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The new Tivo HD box is no longer on the web site (https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do), but in the note at the bottom of the page it still says:

"Series2™ DVR: Record 2 basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once.

TiVo® HD and Series3™ DVR: Record 2 basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once.

**Cable service required to receive cable channels. TiVo does not provide cable service."

Funny how they seemed to have screwed up the discription for S3 along with the Tivo HD.

5. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Yeah, it seems like they just substituted the name of the box (for the Series2DT 180) without updating the specs.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You can't have a new TiVo box launch without TiVo screwing something up, can you?

Let's hope that this is the glitch for this launch.

7. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    You are a crafty one looking in the gift center.

8. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Attached Files:

9. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Hehe. I found another link that hasn't been disabled. Added the third image and a link below the image. :D

10. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
  11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Now I know why Apple closes their store before new products come out.

Someone needs to flog the TiVo webmaster with a wet noodle.

12. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Hope whomever at Tivo is monitoring this thread has the description of the TivoHD changed - no where does it say you can record two shows at once.

That will really confuse people ...

Of course, the $500 MSRP difference between the "Tivo HD" and the "Series 3" will confuse even more, but that's a different story. :)

edit: OK, so it has the "record 2 shows at once" icon.

13. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    They updated some information on the primary Buy Tivo page to say:

"*TiVo® HD Series3™ DVR: cableCARD™ customers may require 2 cards for dual tuner functionality."

However the Gift page has not been updated as of yet.

I just wish they would put in a disclaimer for the series 2 that says "Series2™ DVR: Record 2 basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel (using a digital cable box), at once. Had they done that I wouldn't have bought the S2DT last week and cancelled it when I read the owners manual that it doesn't actually have a digital tuner capable of recording a digital channel without additional non-tivo provided equipment. I would have just waited for the Tivo HD.

14. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Don't we owe it too them to just write it for them? If only they'd come to us, we'd be so willing to help.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Based upon the first picture, for MOST people, the S3 lite looks better than the S3, because it "replaces your cable box". I hope that is still made clear for the orig S3.

16. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I doubt it will matter. The sales of the S3 will go even lower unless there is a correspoding MSRP drop for it.

So far, it seems the S3lite can do everything that S3 can do except look pretty. If I was looking for an HD Tivo, I don't see any reason to get an S3 over a lite.

17. sixtoe

sixtoe New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Well whaddya know? Just found a backdoor and ordered one.

/store/addbox.do?sku=R65216

Am I the first in the world? I should've ordered overnight shipping!

18. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Sneaky devil! Maybe you'll get serial number 001.

19. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
  20. Mongoos150

Mongoos150 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Nice find! Will TiVo honor it though? I've been debating whether to get an S3 or stick with my cable provider's DVR, though this may push me over the edge.

Seems a bit mistefying to me however - from the above link provided, with 1 year of service, price is $478.99. For only about $180 more I can get the S3 (refurb) with 1 year of service. Doesn't it seem silly to not go for the refurb S3? (This is coming from a DVR-n00b who has never had a cable box). The drive space doesn't bother me, but the interface WILL - I know noone has any sure fire way of knowing, but are there any ideas on whether the new HD DVR will have the same UI/OS as the S3?