1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD Power Supply - Can I use it in a Series 3 OLED?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nleavitt, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1 of 14
    nleavitt

nleavitt New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Does anyone know if the power supply in a Tivo HD (160Gb model) is compatible with the previous Series 3 OLED model? They appear identical in size/shape/form factor and have the same connections (motherboard/drive). The caps are arranged slightly differencty. I acquired a Series 3 OLED with a bulging cap in the power supply. I have access to an old Tivo HD for parts. Can I use the HD power supply in the older Series 3 assuming it physically fits exactly? Thanks.

2. Oct 9, 2012 #2 of 14
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, they supposedly are not. (I would have done the same thing too.)

3. Oct 9, 2012 #3 of 14
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The good news is that a capacitor update isn't a big deal if you have soldering skills, there's a post in one of the threads on this subject with a list of all the needed value caps.

4. nleavitt

nleavitt New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I'm hearing that. Eventhough the PSUs from the S3 OLDE and HD look IDENTICAL and would physically fit, I'm hearing that they are not compatible for some reason. Would like to know why. On a PC, you can use various power supplies as long as the wattage meets your needs and the connectors are correct. A drive molex connector is the same regardless. Maybe the overall power is different or Tivos are that much different than a PC.

Anyway, I had partial success with an Apple iMAC G5 motherboard replacing bad caps, so it is sometinmes easy, sometimes not. The imac is about the same vintage as the S3 OLED and plagued with the same problem. It was very difficult to remove the old caps.

More on this Tivo: I picked it up cheap with a lifetime sub and it didn't boot. It powered on but nothing with the HD and no picture. I saw ONE domes butnot burst cap and figured it was a bad PSU. I also pulled the hard drive and connected it to a PC and low and behold, click death for the drive. It was certainly bad. I tossed it and put in a new HD. (A 320Gb from a Premiere I upgraded. Downloaded an S3 WINMFS image from these boards). I installed the new drive and the Tivo booted up and worked normally! For the last few days, the Tivo has been operating perfectly, booting fine, guided setup went fine, cable card/tuning adaptor setup and pairing was fine with Cox (usually a painful process), and for about 2 days now it's been running perfectly, no freezing, nothing. So I guess the next question is, knowing that one cap s domed or slightly bulging at the top, should I replace it (cap alone or entire PSU) as a preventative measure, or wait and see if problems develop. Is it possible fo everything to still work fine with one bad cap? Maybe there's redundancy on the PSU for that cap's function?

5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Replace the cap. A bad power supply can possibly ruin everything else.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would definitely replace all the usual ones that fail if you have signs of one bulging. I replaced 11 caps on my S3 OLED TiVo.

As to the differences between the power supplies, here's the output voltages on each. I don't see a 7.5V output on the TiVo HD power supply.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list
    3Y power supply CP-1104 R2
    TiVo PN SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3
    3.3V 4.1A
    5.0V 8.4A
    7.5V 1.9A
    12.0V 1.0A

TiVo S3 HD capacitor list
    Acbel Polytech ST7002-BW0G
    TiVo PN SPWR-00011-000 Rev B0
    3.3V 5.7A
    5.0V 9.1A
    12.0V 1.2A

Scott

7. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm surprised someone hasn't started a ebay ad, send your supply will replace all caps with quality ones yet.

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    i don't know if it'd be worth it depending on the Tivo. Weaknees sells PS...

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah,but their PS is $100, IIRC.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Oh, I guess I should have looked before I made that comment. I've been lucky so far but I thought that's where the non-technical folks got their new PS.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It would only be worth it for someone who is already set up for electronics repair, and they would have to be willing to take something like this on for a side job.

IOW, I think they would have to be willing to forego profit to undercut Weaknees prices.
    I couldn't do it. I value my free time.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's why I bought an OLED off of eBay for the power supply.. (didn't actually revive the other motherboard, sigh..)

Looks like I paid around $40 including shipping.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In theory you could do a temp swap for test purposes if you know what you're doing, in which case you wouldn't have needed to ask here, most likely.

If the Amperage figures for each output Voltage are close, and if the same color wires are, with no exceptions, in the same holes in the plug that goes to the motherboard, and if the combo SATA data and power harness are the same, then you could try if for a few minutes.

However, as I understand it, the original S3 has an additional (different color) wire/output section/output voltage which the later S3 HD and HD XL do not.

I think it's supposed to be gray or purple or something.

It's not yellow, red, orange, or black.

Those are universally reserved, at least so far, in the TiVo for +12 V, +5 V, +3.3 V, and ground, respectively.

This "extra" wire, as I understand it, is from an 8 or 9 V output and is for the OLED display on the front which the later models didn't have.

So an HD supply in a "thermometer front" wouldn't light up the display.

I have no idea what effect that would have on how the rest of the TiVo works.

If you were putting a 648 supply in a 652 or 658, you'd have to either temporarily remove it from the plug and tape it off well, or make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt, willing to bet your life on it positive, that the corresponding pin or solder land on the motherboard connected to absolutely, positively nothing.

14. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    But the problem there is you still have a power supply full of 6 year old capacitors with the potential to age out and fail, replacing the capacitors should net you new caps, possibly higher ratings if you chose that spec.