1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo HD is Frozen Every Single Night

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TaterTot24, May 8, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 #1 of 47
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I have had my TiVo HD since it first came out and never had any issues whatsoever. Here recently I upgraded to a new TiVo for the living room and put the TiVo HD in the bedroom. That is when all the trouble started...

Days after I put it in the bedroom, I began to notice that it would be frozen/locked up when I would turn on the TV. The remote does not work and the picture would be frozen. It would miss recordings and everything. This would happen randomly, not every single time...

My first solution was to try another HDMI cable, because I had just used a cheap thin one I had lying around. That actually seemed to work for a while (not sure why), but then it started doing it again. At that point, I thought it was the hard drive, because of the age of the unit. So I bought a WD Red drive and replaced it. I thought finally I had it fixed, but 2 days after getting the new hard drive installed it began to do it again...

I actually think it is doing it more frequently now then it had previously. Every night when I turn on the bedroom TV, the TiVo is frozen. We are going on 8 nights in a row here.

I thought it may have had to do something with it connecting to the TiVo service, but it does that fine on its own and when I try it manually. And I am almost 100% sure it does not lock up at the same time every night or anything like that because I have just left the TV on all night and it will never freeze. Just to be clear, it never freezes while watching TV. So this makes me think it has something to do with the TV. It is a LG 60PA6500 TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. May 8, 2014 #2 of 47
    jerrymc

jerrymc TiVo Tinker

Sep 17, 2001
    Antioch, CA, US
    There's no way for the TV to affect the Tivo. The Tivo has no way to know what its outputs are connected to.

First thing I would try is replacing the cables from your source (antenna or Cable outlet). Garbage in, garbage out.

Second thing I would try is "Clear Program Data and ToDo list". This forces the Tivo to update the program data. In previous models, the program data could become corrupted and cause all sorts of strange behavior. Happened on my Series 2 HR10. When you copied the old drive to the new drive, then your second drive may have inherited a corrupted program data base from the first.

If that doesn't work, pull the drive and run FULL diagnostics from the manufacturer. Do this for both drives if you have the original one. If they pass, it leaves the power supply or the main board of the Tivo. You can replace a power supply for under $100 (less for a used one). Obviously, if it's the main board, you're out of luck.

Hope this helps.

3. May 8, 2014 #3 of 47
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Due to the Series 3 line being infected with "capacitor plague", it's time to suspect the power supply.

Check the power supply for any bulging or leaking capacitors.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind capacitors can be bad without showing any outward signs, so to do a thorough check, you need to read the power supply output with a volt meter.

Attached Files:

4. May 8, 2014 #4 of 47
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    This is probably a long shot, but make sure all your outlets are properly grounded and that everything (outlets, network cables, coax shields) is connected to the same grounding point. Varying ground levels can cause strange problems.

5. May 8, 2014 #5 of 47
    worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Try different video formats on your TiVo. Try matching TiVo's video format to your TV. If your TV does 1080i set TiVo's format to 1080i.

6. May 8, 2014 #6 of 47
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Borrow a voltmeter from someone and check the yellow wire for +12V relative to the black wires, the red for +5V, and the orange for +3.3V.

Even if none of the power supply caps show any signs of bulging or leakage the fact that it's newer than a Series 1 and older than a Series 4 makes power supply problems due to "capacitor plague" very likely, and that can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

Fortunately you're only looking at about ten to fifteen bucks for new replacement low ESR caps rated at 105 degrees C.

7. May 8, 2014 #7 of 47
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

I know you guys are talking about the power supply and the capacitors being a common issue, but does that really fit what is going on here (maybe it does)?

I mean I have left the TV on for 24 hours and not had a single issue, but if I turn off the TV and a few hours later turn it back on -- then it will be frozen...

I just did a little research and turns out there is like 3 firmware update for my TV and 2 of them address errors with HDMI handshake & protocol. I am going to try to update the TV tonight and then report back here.

8. May 8, 2014 #8 of 47
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes, it does. PS issues have a wide variety of symptoms, yours is one of them seen previously.

Not saying investigating other items is not prudent, but the PS is the top of the list at this point.

9. May 8, 2014 #9 of 47
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Ok just checking :D

I will be pulling the TiVo apart tonight and inspecting the capacitors and checking voltages. I will post some pics here if I find anything goofy...

While that is going on, I will go ahead and update the TV just for good measure :up:

10. jerrymc

jerrymc TiVo Tinker

Sep 17, 2001
    Antioch, CA, US
    Whatever you do, try only one thing at a time to make sure you have pinpointed the actual problem.

11. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I have a power supply from a Tivo HD I received yesterday sitting on my desk. Out of curiosity, I measured the voltages with a multimeter. There are no visible signs of capacitor failure but when I measured the voltages, I got 3.34, 4.73, and 11.1V with a HDD connected.

12. TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Is that suppose to be a new PS or a bad one?

13. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    The voltages should be close to 3.3, 5, and 12V so I would say it's bad. Maybe not bad enough to start causing problems but it's just a matter of time.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the TV has backlighting, try turning it off.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should be a little closer to 5 and 12 than that, especially 12.

And if it measures higher with the drive disconnected, that means it's not voltage regulating properly, which would be another indication of problems.

So go ahead and re-cap it and be done with it.

(sooner or later it's going to need it done anyway)

That way, if any further troubleshooting is necessary, you know for sure that it's not the power supply.

16. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    If your Tivo power supply is going bad, turning on or off the tv that it's attached to can cause a brief power surge that the power supply can't handle. Remember, there are two connections in common with with TV and tivo, the hdmi cable and the AC outlet which both are probably plugged into gather. Newer flat panel televisions don't pull as much power as the old crt type did but they still pull a lot esp when powered on.

It might be the hdmi cable but most likely if out of the blue and since the Tivo is old, it's the TiVo's power supply.

17. TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I ended up having to stay at work an extra 2 hours, so I did not get a chance to disassemble the TiVo... However, I did go ahead and update the TV firmware (already had the USB drive ready) and I was able to turn on the TV without the TiVo being frozen for the first time in about 8 days.

I think it was just coincidence though because when I turned on the TV to flash the firmware, it was not frozen either (there was about a 4 hour difference between the 2 times)...

Anyway, if I am going to open it up again then I am just going to replace the caps. But I will post on here what I find...

18. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    But if nothing changed and your TV and tivo HD has been working fine, why would you assume it's the tv' firmware fault if out of the blue the Tivo is locked up? While it appears the tv locks up when you turn the tv on, you don't know if the Tivo was already locked up before you turn the tv back on. Just playing the Devils advocate......

My money is on a bad power supply or hard drive going bad.

19. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    It's like Schrödinger's TiVo: both locked up and not locked up at the same time.

20. jbarm

jbarm New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Just had a similar problem with a S3 HD I picked up a while ago. Freeze or reboot on start.

I pulled the power supply out of one of my extra S3 HD's with no service put it in the balky unit and the thing runs like a dream again.

I would recommend just buying a couple of spare part S3 HD's off of Craigs List if you don't want to go the soldering route.

I bought 3 Tivos (1 Premiere and 2 S3 HD's) for a total of $30 (for all) not that long ago as spares. Bonus was that the two S3's had lifetime on them, so I ended up buying another S3 HD for a spare part unit and sold the other two. :)