1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD and Time Warner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivobrett, Dec 28, 2008.

1. tivobrett

tivobrett New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm replacing my Series 2 with a new HD model but am concerned about what I've been reading about how Time Warner Cable handles HD Tivos.
    - Do I need a cablecard?
    - If so, does Time Warner charge extra for this "service"?
    - Do all of the HD channels come through when using an HD Tivo?
    I'm probably getting the XL model, if that helps.
    Any advice/experiences with TWC (yes, they suck but that's what I have) are most appreciated.
  2. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Yes, you need a cablecard for getting "full" use of your cable company's offerings.

TWC charges for cablecards. At first I was charged $4.55 or so per month, but now I pay $1.75.

Whether you get all HD channels depends on whether your TWC franchise uses Switched Digital Video (SDV).

In NYC there is no SDV, so I get all the HD channels that I should. I can't get on-demand or PPV via the TiVO HD, of course. And I am very satisfied with TWC NYC.
  3. tivobrett

tivobrett New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks for the reply. Waiting until Time Warner can come with the card.
    Do you know if I need a CableCARD slot on the television as well?
  4. crazyles

crazyles New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    No you dont need a cablecard slot in the TV
  5. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    I dont know if im in the right thread.In the signal strength meter (antenna} I see something new ,i think. I now see red bars on some channels when i put them on the meter.Any one see this and what does it mean???Can any one tell me??