1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD 652160 spontaneous reboots

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dpberry, Jan 14, 2014.

1. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    My Tivo 652160 reboots on its own maybe every 4-5 hours (maybe more, maybe less because I do not have the TV on all day). Everything will be fine and then it abruptly goes to a black screen for 1-2 seconds and then reboots going through the entire boot sequence. Once finished, I can watch TV until its next recycle.

Occasionally (maybe once a week), the screen will be frozen when I first turn the TV on. The Tivo will be unresponsive to the remote control but it will reboot just fine if I unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.

Upon reading posts here, I first replaced the hard drive and no change. Then I noticed that one of the caps had a domed top so I replaced it. No change. So next I have replaced all 9 caps located near the heat sinks. No change.

I have run the Western Digital Diagnostics on the hard drive(s) in both Quick and Extended modes and both show no errors.

Can someone offer some advice on what I should look for next? This is an HD model with a lifetime sub and I would like to save it.

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Dumb question, but is the fan working?

3. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    yes... the fan is working and seems to be a normal quiet

4. keithg1964

keithg1964 New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I would contact TIVO to see if their logs say why it is rebooting.

5. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Tivo support no help. They suggested that I not use a power strip but now that has proven not to be the answer as well.

I can also add that he Tivo will reboot while watching both OTA antenna or prerecorded programs.

6. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I just put a volt meter onto where the power supply plugs onto the motherboard. It seems like all the readings are double what they should be. Red=10.0 volts. Yellow=25.8 volts. Orange=6.6 volts. Am I doing something wrong? I am grounding to the chassis with the black probe and probing into the top of the plug where it attaches to the motherboard.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is your voltmeter set for AC, when it should be set for DC?

Is it a digital readout meter?

I've never seen readings that were exactly double what they should be, unless you count reading from the wrong scale on the old analog moving needle kind of meter.

But if we divide your readings by 2, then the 3.3 and the 5 Volt lines are "perfecter" than I would have ever expected, but the 12 V line appears to actually be running a bit high (25.8/2 = 12.9)

Are these readings with the hard drive attached as well as the motherboard?

8. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Everything (including hard drive and motherboard) is connected when I test the voltage. However, I was using AC and not DC. It is a digital readout voltmeter. So the following readings are with it set to DC.

When I first power it on and test, the RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=11.8 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.

About 15 minutes later the readings are RED=4.9 volts, YELLOW=12.0-12.1 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Test it with the hard drive disconnected, and if the readings are pretty close to those you just got, then the power supply is probably okay.

10. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Well the readings with the hard drive disconnected are pretty close:
    RED=4.8 volts, YELLOW=12.2 volts, ORANGE=3.3 volts

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unless there's some AC ripple sneaking through on those DC lines, I'd say the problem isn't the power supply.

Which leaves us I don't know where, but the idea of getting TiVo to check the logs sounds like a logical step.

12. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I do appreciate the help here... thanks. But I am not sure what getting Tivo to check the logs means or what I need to do. I am learning about this as we go.

13. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Did you use the image from your original drive when you replaced the hard drive? If you did you might try another image and see if you get the same problem.
    If you have a CableCARD, remove it and see if the problem persists. If there is a tuning adapter, remove it as well. Sometimes the contacts on the Cable Cards or the receiver get a little oxidation over time and causes some issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

14. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Just downloaded a 652160 image. Removed my 160 GB drive. Ran WD Diagnostics and zeroed out the drive. Then restored it with the downloaded image. Re-installed and currently testing it.

I am using antenna only and there are no cable cards or tuner adapter.

15. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Unfortunately, using a new image did not fix the issue either.

16. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    What procedure did you use to restore the image.

17. dpberry

dpberry New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    After writing the image as described in #14 above, I plugged in the Tivo. It went thru one entire boot sequence for a new user. Then after entering some new updated information, it went through another boot sequence. This seemed normal as I recalled my first time booting a Tivo unit. Finally, I went to Tivo Settings and selected to delete all and the unit went through the final reboot sequence which married my motherboard to the drive. Everything seems normal except for that occasional spontaneous reboot that I originally started with.

To review, I cannot really determine the time between these reboots, but it does take a while. I have yet to notice 2 in any one sitting. Some evenings, it might not even experience one.

18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Intermittent errors like this are tough. Did you replace the drive with a new drive or a drive you repurposed. Might try a new drive if you didn't. Replace all the caps in the power supply. If those two things don't fix it. Then it is most probably the motherboard. Then it is a call to TiVo to see if they are willing to give you a good deal on a repair or replacement.

19. kucharsk

kucharsk New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Try a new drive.

I was having reboots, pauses and some pixelation.

Running the TiVo kickstart long drive test found no issues, but the drive died last week.

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I apologize for not having thought to bring this up earlier.

You do have that TiVo plugged into a UPS, don't you?