1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo has crossed my line...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by destek, May 12, 2009.

1. May 12, 2009 #1 of 293
    destek

destek New Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Madison,...
    Ok - I was midly annoyed with the new "see more about <this show>" when paused - but there are now ADS in that space as well.
    I have been very happy with TIVO - ecstatic actually - but this has just gone too far for me now. I was willing to put up with it, even though I pay for the service, but this has crossed my line. It feels like TIVO feels empowered to put ads whereever, whenever they like on my box because I buy their service.
    OK - so they still aren't making money. Do they think that by abandoning thier once-elegant user interface they will turn a profit? Perhaps they need to do some GM-style downsizing and pursue a business model for a company that isn't the size of southern Europe. Believe me, someone could figure out how to run that company on about 500 employees out of an office suite in Dayton, Ohio. Tivo is going to become known as an ad-box and that officially makes me a former-fan.
    Sorry Tivo, you had me there for a long time - but you've blown it. You don't improve your business by annoying your customers!

Des

2. May 12, 2009 #2 of 293
    sshedlock

sshedlock Mr. Yuk

May 14, 2004
  3. May 12, 2009 #3 of 293
    dgf123

dgf123 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Springfield VA
    Tivo rep Jessica Loebig told me she cares and wants to here from customers who are bothered with this and gave me her email. Tell her jloebig@tivo.com

4. May 12, 2009 #4 of 293
    hunter69

hunter69 New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Your cable company inserts adds into shows on many of the networks that you watch, even though you pay (probably a lot of $) for the channels.

Have you canceled your home cable service yet?

5. May 12, 2009 #5 of 293
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. May 12, 2009 #6 of 293
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Absolutely.

Also, folks do need to keep in mind that there may not be any profitable business model for TiVo. The choice may between these subtle ads and no more stand-alone TiVo service.

7. May 12, 2009 #7 of 293
    mearlus

mearlus New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I just don't get it. I bet users like this are the same ones who call and complain/swear at/threaten their ISP's when they get spam emails.

Same simple solution applies: ignore it

Or if you want to help benefit Tivo, view an ad every once and awhile, I know I do. I for one would rather see a few ads (not really see as I've trained myself it ignore banner ads on the web as well as on the Tivo) vs paying a lot more for service.

If it bothers you so much maybe you should suggest to Tivo that they offer an Ad-free tier for their subscription that is double what you'd pay now.

8. May 12, 2009 #8 of 293
    tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    You should see how many ads a cable dvr has. There dvr has ads every where.

9. May 12, 2009 #9 of 293
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe this is the first time TiVo has made the ad the default action however. Clearly, they should just remove the "More about" and leave the ad since that is their main intention. There's no need trying to disguise it.

10. May 12, 2009 #10 of 293
    bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Moxi to the rescue.. LOL. Plus I have seen many more DVR's in development that come without the anoying ads. Seems there is money in Video Downloads, Music Downloads, Game Downloads, etc.. so much so.. that ads don't have to be plastered all over the place on these DVRs. So help really is on the way and it is just a minor waiting game at this point unless the Moxi fits your bill. Personally, I'd rather see Tivo die as a company I had fond memories for than live on as a cursed company that people say, "Oh man, you'r stuck with Tivo". I have 2 DVR's and will jump ship as soon as my contract runs out. The ads thrown in my face make me wanna puke daily.

Ads will sink Tivo.. mark my words.

11. May 12, 2009 #11 of 293
    fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Regretfully there's some truth to this. But it's not too late.

12. May 12, 2009 #12 of 293
    techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    Well you are entitled to leave at any time but to get away from all ads you are going to have to quit driving, cancel any newspapers, cancel magazine subscriptions, not check email, actually not even go online, shall I go on?

13. May 12, 2009 #13 of 293
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Where are you going to go? Back to a cable box? Drop 800 clams for a MOXI when you have a perfectly good working TiVo? Your not going anywhere!

14. May 12, 2009 #14 of 293
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Don't forget to make sure you're telling them why you're leaving.

Let us know what you bought for a replacement.

15. May 12, 2009 #15 of 293
    urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    Hey call me crazy (YOU'RE CRAZY!!!), but when the "see more about" pops up I do one of three things :
    1. Press the down arrow on the remote
    2. Press clear on the remote
    3. Ignore it.

16. May 12, 2009 #16 of 293
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    While I agree that these ads are very annoying and intrusive (to me) there really is no alternative to TiVo at the moment. Most cable DVRs have limited space and lack the features I've grown accustom to with TiVo, particularly the network features. Moxi is expensive and I really dislike their UI. (I use to have a cable DVR with Moxi) And MCE PCs are expensive, power hungry and for the most part lack CableCARD support.

See this is where lack of competition hurts consumers. If there were a half dozen other options out there with similar feature sets TiVo would have to think twice about doing these kinds of things. But when their only real competition is a limited, and also ad riddled, cable DVR they pretty much have free reign to do whatever they want. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is right now.

Dan

17. May 12, 2009 #17 of 293
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    The problem that many in this thread fail to realize is that , Tivo is a subscription service. Therefore the subscribers should have a say in whats going on, if it were free with Ads thats another story. But the people attitudes in this thread and board, show that tivo isnt going to be top dog too much longer.

18. May 12, 2009 #18 of 293
    Nugent

Nugent New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Cable TV - check
    Satellite Tv - check
    POTS - check
    Newspaper - check (sort of - they called and made a ridiculous offer, which I accepted)
    Do not call - check
    Snail mail - check (http://www.catalogchoice.org)
    Email - check (spam filter)
    Grocery store with monitors blaring ads - check
    Movies - check

19. May 12, 2009 #19 of 293
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    you forgot

Gas station -check
    doctors office- check
    highways -check

20. May 12, 2009 #20 of 293
    Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Which gets me to thinking, you know the Bank's name on the check is really advertising, since all that is needed for routing/verifying the check is in the routing code.

So:

check- check