1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Guide up to date when sports cancelled?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FJFbHj356y, Nov 2, 2013.

1. FJFbHj356y

FJFbHj356y PeterNE

Apr 28, 2008
    I own a Moxi, but am considering a replacement with a Tivo.

This week the Red Sox won the World Series on Wednesday, Game 7 was cancelled. Did you notice whether the Thursday night Fox schedule was up to date without the World Series listed? I am curious how fast the Tivo guide is at responding to cancelled sports events like this.

Thanks

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Early afternoon the next day, my guide would come up with the World Series being listed, but within a couple of seconds, it changed to reflect what was actually scheduled.

Now, I didn't check to see exactly when my Tivo connected to the mother ship, but I suspect that had something to do with it.

But because Tivos normally only connect to the service every 24 - 36 hours, I'm sure there were plenty of people whose Tivos didn't connect at a time that allowed for the change in the guide schedule to be reflected, so your probably going to get some answers to the negative.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Tivo would have had new/updated information to distribute after 3pm* ET on Thursday, so a Tivo would have to make its daily connection for guide data after 3pm but with enough time to index the data and make it available to the user before any newly scheduled program begins. That means there is only small window for the tivo to be usefully updated.

* For many many years it was always at 3pm eastern time (noon pacific time) when new guide data started to be distributed, but lately it seems to vary and may be available a couple of hours earlier.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In a case like that you can keep forcing connections to the mothership until it does update or you can do like I did and use the google machine to see what they're running instead, which turned out to be re-runs of stuff I didn't care about or had already recorded the first time around.

The TiVo guide system isn't like a computerized real-time inventory system at some giant company that updates every few seconds.