1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Groups or Folders

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by FrankBella, Jan 24, 2009.

1. FrankBella

FrankBella New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    I like the way TiVo organizes some of my recordings in the Now Playing list into groups.

I’d like to see this feature expanded so that I can make my own groups (e.g.: Horror Movies, Save for wife, etc…)

This would be especially useful now that I added a 500GB DVR expander … I’ve got room for hundreds of hours of movies . Whattya think?? :)

2. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Personally, I think that'd be nice. A common tag on computer video containers (.mkv, .vob, etc) is "Album"; if this tag is set on videos downloaded to the PS3, it can organize them in folders according to album name. If there is no album tag when you download, PS3 sets one, using the current date and you can edit it to whatever you want. Maybe TiVo could have an editable "Album" field on recordings.

3. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008
    Yes, folders would be a nice feature. Or tags like in gmail.

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Excellent idea!

5. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    To add to that, I'd like to have subgroups. So for my sci-fi programs I would show from the Now Playing List:

NPL -> SciFi Shows -> Star Trek Enterprise -> Episode #24

6. Feb 2, 2009 #6 of 45
    TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I have always wondered why Tivo doesn't have user-created folders. An example I have is that I record the NFL Films Superbowl videos. However, they are named "Superbowl XV" or Superbowl XVI." If they were named "Superbowl: XV" then Tivo would create a separate folder for them. Maybe that's a possible option, too. The ability to edit the name of the recording. Put a colon in the name and let Tivo create the folder.

7. Feb 2, 2009 #7 of 45
    burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I hear ya. I understand they want to make Tivos easy to use, but adding some advanced options would be nice. Organizing is something that would be a big hit with die hard tivo users!

8. wdavew

wdavew New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Very few of my recordings are HD, and I'm putting several short subjects onto the TivoHD, so I can easily put over 500 items on the now playing list. :eek:

One alternative would be to assign folder information by the TiVo Desktop that would be used when transferred.

9. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    There are just too many situations where having User Defined groups/folders would come in handy. Please Tivo, let's get this feature rolling!

10. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This isn't exactly the first time this has been requested. In fact, I think we're up to six digits, now. :)

There is something of a work-around. One may transfer recordings to an external PC or server and use an application like Galleon or pyTiVo to create folders on the TiVo for the programs residing on the external device.

11. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I heard of the pytivo work around, but even with that, you can only use folder names that have a series id and that are present in the guide data. :(

12. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, it depends on what you mean, and not quite, in any case. Programs sitting on the pyTivo server will be arranged into whatever folders you like based strictly upon the folder structure on the server, and the name of the folder on the pyTivo server doesn't matter at all. Said folders will show up under the pyTivo share(s) in the NPL. It doesn't matter if the programs in question are a series, or not. For example, one of my pyTivo shares is just an alphabetical arrangement of folders and programs by title. I have all the Harry Potter films in one folder, all the Die Hard films in another, etc. These are not series in the way the Tivo thinks of a series, and when transferred to the Tivo, they will all simply show up as individual programs in the root of the NPL. The same, however, is true of a program which in fact is a part of a TV series if the TiVo does not recognize its series ID. Note this only affects programs after they have been transferred to the TiVo, not before. For myself, regardless of whether it is part of a series or not, I don't transfer a program to the TiVo unless I am going to watch it shortly, and then I will delete it immediately thereafter as a matter of course. Thus, whether the TiVo recognizes the program as part of a series or not is a fairly moot point. YMMV, of course, but I think most people who put programs on an external server will usually leave them there until they are anbout ready to watch them.

13. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I store movies (home and dvd) on the tivo so I leave them on the tivo and don't delete them. That's why it would be nice if we could create our own foders/subfolders on the tivo.

14. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I believe we all agree it would be really nice to be able to actually create and manage folders on the TiVo. Galleon and pyTivo allow the user a limited work-around, not a complete solution,and certainly not a transparent one, but it's better than nothing.

As for leaving videos on the TiVos... well, the TiVo drives are way too small to make this practical for my purposes. At this point in time, the TiVo is limited to 2.2 TB.

15. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    They'll get mp4 working sooner than later and that will allow more files as well.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    'Not really significantly. Typically, for no discernible loss in PQ, an MPEG-4 video is going to be between 1/2 to 2/3 as large as an MPEG-2 file of the same content. At best, one may expect perhaps a factor of four. That's still only 8T or so of equivalent MPEG-2 files. I've only been collecting videos for about a year, and I'm already beyond 8T. When I'm "done", I'll expect to have in excess of 30T of MPEG-4 files.

None of which is to say 2.2T or so won't meet your long term needs, but it doesn't even come close to my short term needs, let alone what will be required over the long haul.

17. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I can get a factor of 5 on my mp4 conversions, but I do see where you're getting at. If you have a very large library, then a Tivo will not handle that space requirement. For me, I have a medium sized library, but only about half of those movies I would want to watch at any given time.

18. theviaumaster

theviaumaster New Member

Feb 24, 2009
    For me, this really isn't a "storage" issue as much as an "organization" issue. We have a ton of shows, constantly being downloaded/recorded, watched, and deleted. As a home with kids of several ages and adults with varying tastes, it would just be nice to have a folder for each family member--a place where we could shunt all of our shows so we're not searching through 25 pages in the NPL when trying to find something to watch. Kids Zone does a pretty good job of sectioning off some of the content, but it starts to break down if you have kids from more than one age group. What drives me crazy about Kids Zone is that I still have to fight through all the kid's shows in the NPL. It's almost like we need a Parents Zone that doesn't display anything that's already in the Kids Zone. :rolleyes: But I guess that's basically the family folders idea that I'm talking about.

I think the real trick would be coming up with a method of automatically moving the shows into the folders. If the process of organizing shows into folders was manual, it might not end up being any more convenient than what we're dealing with right now. Remember, the majority of our content is recorded, watched, and deleted within a day or two. There would have to be a way to tell the TiVo--probably in the Season Pass--that a specific show needs to go into a specific folder when recorded.

C'mon, TiVo, why isn't this working yet?!? :p

19. burnside

burnside New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I totally agree. I was just thinking about this yesterday ironically. I'd love to have a folder for me, my wife, and my child. I just don't see why we can't create our own folders, name them, then tell tivo where to put season pass recordings or just manually move recordings to a folder. Let's get this going Tivo!

20. Markell

Markell New Member

May 14, 2006
    Laurel
    Because, like everyone else, once they have our money, they don't care what we want.