1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo gets an extender!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mr.unnatural, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Saw this over at The Missing Remote (which is, ironically, an HTPC website). Tivo's IP-STB extender has just been announced for fall release. Here's a link. There's a link to Tivo's full press release in the article. It appears that this is only going to be offered to GCI subscribers, but it will be interesting to see if Tivo expands the offering to the general public at a later date. I'd be curious to see if this device can link to more than one Tivo on a home network.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I don't visit the Premiere forum so I missed it. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

4. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    So this is now vapor right? We're well past Fall.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It was pushed back until 2013.

6. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I Googled Tivo Extender and this thread was one of the hits.

A lot of the other ones are from earlier in the year when they announced it. So if Tivo officially announced the delay, Google can't seem to find a web page about it.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    TiVo never officially announced a release date so they didn't officially announce a delay.

One of the things TiVo needed to get out is the update which is just now rolling out to the priority signups. As a result with the holidays, there is just not enough time to get it out before the end of the year.

There are also rumors they wanted to change how the live TV function worked so that would require another update.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It seems counter intuitive to use a Tivo to watch live TV. Maybe they should have released the Mini without the live TV functionality.

9. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If a Tivo is the only tuner attached to a TV monitor then there's no reason not to use it for live TV. I think most people would prefer to watch current news and not something that's been recorded, unless it's a special newscast they'd like to keep. A DVR isn't the answer to all TV viewing.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I and many of my friends may not be home for the 6:30p network news, I record this news and can see it in less that 20 minuets when I do get home that night (I have a season pass that keeps only one news program so if I don't get to watch that night the next night it will be replaced with that night news), I can skip stories that I have no interest in, and of course the commercials.

11. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I was thinking more along the lines of late breaking reports, such as watching the status of Sandy on The Weather Channel or any other real-time event. I had to keep tabs on what Sandy was doing in my area and watching a recording that's a couple of hours old wasn't going to cut if. There are times when you need live TV. If it's not urgent, then a DVR is fine. Some things simply cannot wait.

12. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The fact of the matter is that TiVo people tend to look down upon anyone watching anything that hasn't been previously set up as a season pass or at least programmed 24 hrs in advance.

They think people who watch live don't deserve to have a TiVo.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well it does seem fairly foolish to pay for a TiVo and then use it to watch the "live" broadcast of a prerecorded show. I have friends that watch many shows the same night they are broadcast but they don't watch them "live".

For actual shows that are being broadcast live for real (sports & some news) there are reasons that actually watching live makes some sense but even for local news I do the same as lessd does. Most nights I get to it around 10-15 minutes after it starts, but it is on my schedule not theirs and I don't have to waste my time with commercials or stuff I don't care about.

If someone wants to pay for a TiVo and still suffer the pain and inconvenience of "live" TV that's their business but I sure don't.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think TiVo people look down on those who watch Live TV, but I do think they wonder why anyone with a TiVo would bother watching Live TV. It seems like an unnecessary habit. You're using the tuner anyway, so why not set it up to record? That way if something unexpected happens that interrupts your routine you wont miss anything. There are no negatives to setting up everything as a recording, so why not do it? (other then late breaking news, but that's pretty rare in the scheme of things)

Dan

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I watch live TV (news) in the morning before work (no time to invest in anything recorded), and use it as background noise when I'm on the PC.
    Occasionally I will also use live TV (PBS) to fall asleep to.

I don't remember a lot of talk about Tivo people looking down on others who watch live TV when they own a Tivo.
    I think most of the statements I have heard had been made in jest.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Winter begins in about 3 weeks, so we're not well past Fall, we're still in it.

17. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Most TVs have tuners in them. I would just run the cable directly to the TV and watch the local channels that way rather than waste a tuner from a Tivo.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Don't hold your breath. TiVo may release them to MSOs by then but it's highly unlikely we'll see them available to retail before winter starts.

Dan

19. badtuned

badtuned New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    London, UK
    Not that we ever see any of these extenders here in UK, but just wondering if people have been happy with these kind of extras from tivo?

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There are many, many reasons not to do so, the top of which is not wasting one's time.

That would mean I would have to tie myself to the schedule set by the station, which is nonsense. Real news doesn't wait for 17:00 to happen, and although there are sometimes live feeds from events which are protracted in time, in general the news is no less "live" at 18:30 than at 17:00.

I have never kept a news report.

That's utter nonsense. First of all, there is nothing which prevents the user from watching a program while it is recording. Secondly, while I do on rare occasions watch the weather live, even that is better served by being recorded. If I am ten minutes late (by the TV station's ridiculous notion of "late", not mine) turning on the TV, I don't want to have missed the weather.