1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo - freezing so much I can't watch anything

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by krazyrabbit, May 25, 2013.

1. krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit New Member

Mar 26, 2002
    Dallas Texas
    Hi,

Been reading many of the posts here but not certain if what I'm encountering is common.

Here's what I have: Series 3 HD TiVo Lifetime Service, running Verizon Fios with two cable cards. About 4 years old, using external WD hard drive and wireless adaptor. Has run flawlessly until about a month ago.

Problem: Started occasional freeze and reboot during playback of recorded programs. Did this once, then again a few days later, then to maybe once a day. At first it seemed to freeze at the same point during the recorded program. The past few days the issue got much worse and yesterday could not watch though a half hour recorded program without a reboot and now can’t even watch live TV without it almost instantly rebooting if you rewind, fast forward or pause.

What I've done:

Unplugged and restarted.
    Checked all cables.
    Ran kickstart 57 & 58. Stated it installed a service update.
    Run the kickstart 54 and both internal and external drives passed the smart test.
    I even tried divorcing the external HD but no good.

Right now I have it running kickstart 54 for the long internal drive test.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You might also want to open the Tivo up and check the capacitors on the power supply to see if any are bulging.

[​IMG]

3. krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit New Member

Mar 26, 2002
    Dallas Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion, they are flat as a pancake and have no discoloration.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You seem to have hit most of the troubleshooting tips I know of. Maybe check the signal level and uncorrected errors in the diagnostics screen? Outside of that the only other thing I can think of is to pull the hard drives and run the manufacturers disk utility on them. I believe they are more comprehensive than the kickstarts. Good luck.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may be a failing hard drive that is causing the reboots. Tivo is very picky as to the drive condition and will reboot at the slightest twitch. It will also happen if you have an external drive installed and either the external or internal drive fails.