1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo finishing in October

Discussion in 'TiVo NZ/Australia' started by kaiser1111, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1 of 13
    kaiser1111

kaiser1111 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    A sad sad day is coming. Just got the news Tivo service will finish on 31st of October.
    RIP TiVo.

2. Mar 1, 2017 #2 of 13
    ERIC DRUMMOND

ERIC DRUMMOND New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    I have a few programes save to my tivo . Can these be transfered to Fetch Mighty in any way.
    Thanks
    ERIC D

3. Mar 1, 2017 #3 of 13
    kaiser1111

kaiser1111 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Hi Eric, you can transfer programs to your PC using TiVo desktop, then played on your Fetch via the USB port. Not sure if you can transfer it to it's HDD though. TiVo programs cannot be played directly to other devices. Your TiVo will still work you know, but there will be no EPG feature. You can still record and play programs through the manual programing feature.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #4 of 13
    Z80AL

Z80AL New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Afraid I don't know anything about the alternative - Fetch TV. Can that be used to just record free-to-air programmes (like TiVo) at no additional cost, or will we need to now pay a monthly subscription fee for the privilege?

5. Mar 1, 2017 #5 of 13
    ovit68

ovit68 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    They should be offering at least an EPG service!

TIVO...this is bloody BS.

6. Mar 1, 2017 #6 of 13
    ovit68

ovit68 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Tivo swap out offer!!!!

Can't be serious.

Complete your order at Harvey Norman online, and await notification from your nearest Harvey Norman store that your Fetch Mighty device is ready for pick up in store. This may take up to four months from purchase.

PLUS they want your old TIVO back when you go and pick up the Mighty Device from HN.
    What the hell for!!!!

Bring your TiVo device in to Harvey Norman with you, to swap it out for your new Fetch Mighty device. Please ensure you bring the correct TiVo with you, for the discount code you have redeemed.

You get $100 off, I'd say in 4 months time there would be a few sales on that would discount the RRP down to $299.

WHAT BS!

7. Mar 3, 2017 #7 of 13
    Paul Robinson

Paul Robinson New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    I went to HN today and swapped over (after copying the stuff I wanted to my PC and external HD) - so it didn't take 4 months..

but yes I totally agree BS - and if i'd waited i agree i probably could have got it cheaper too

8. Mar 3, 2017 #8 of 13
    Paul Robinson

Paul Robinson New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    There is the initial $1 fee for registration - but then i think there is no cost to access EPG and record and series link like TIVO. I'll report back to this thread after i've had a play on the weekend.

9. Mar 3, 2017 #9 of 13
    ovit68

ovit68 New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    What I don't get is why do we need to hand over our TIVO's?
    Are they (TIVO) going to do something with them somewhere else, another country maybe?
    Can't see them just trashing them.

TIVO could have arranged something with FETCH to keep the units going here in OZ.

10. landie1

landie1 New Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Was very sad to see this message on our TiVo today.

[​IMG]

Like you, I am highly suss about the reason for handing over our TiVos. Are they going to the states? Where? Was there a deal with Harvey Norman? Or is it a marketing opportunity? I think there is a story behind the scenes.

Also what

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. landie1

landie1 New Member

Dec 27, 2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. kaiser1111

kaiser1111 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone has contacted the service dept. You wouldn't have a reply yet but we could ask if there is or have they considered alternatives, such as above, other than a new (inferior) box! As above if Fetch can give a EPG for free why not for TiVo? Surely a mod to the software, even for a small charge, may work. The connections are all there just need them to talk to each other. May be the Tivos are TOO good. They have lasted too long and they want to get rid of them and sell us some new ****! I have an OPTUS Fetch box (that I don't use) that I got with my package. Its a bit like using an old Nokia and a new Samsung the other way around. The old is so much better than the new. With the Fetch you cannot switch between the two tuners like the TiVo but it does record the one for longer. Also no 'To do' list and no restoring deleted files. It has similar things just not as easy to use. Also you can turn it off which may be good or bad but of course when its off you can't rewind live TV.

Sent from my PC using my keyboard.

13. Saabman

Saabman New Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I just piped into HN to have a look at the fetch and between me and the salesman we couldn't get the bloody thing to record playschool after doing a search. If you went through the program guide (yawn) and work out what time it was on the you could. :(

While it does have some nice features ( 4 tuners and iview etc) it's User interface leaves a lot to be desired.

I recall many years ago been introduced to TiVo by a co worker that brought one in from the US and had hacked it so it would pull an EPG from somewhere. Perhaps in the developers thread there is some info on pulling the same trick