1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Fall 12 Update - New Sounds

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by toddspch, Nov 12, 2012.

1. toddspch

toddspch New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Anyone else mildly "annoyed" by the addition of a tivo sound effect when changing channels now? Wish there was a setting to turn this off (without turning off all the very useful sound effects).

2. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Yeah I noticed that too. It is very annoying.

3. toddspch

toddspch New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Any way to get rid of it?

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I noticed it and turned the sounds off. It's just too much.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't have that issue here since every channel has DD audio. With DD there are no sound effects.

But that seems like a very weird choice to have a sound effect every time the channel is changed.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Channel changes can be slow, so the sound alerts the user that the TiVo is working on changing it. Makes sense to me.

Then again I don't watch live TV ever, so I'd never notice it anyway.

Dan

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    wow, someone annoyed by new sound effects, but NOT the rest of the annoying sound effects? (After the initial setup, the first thing I do is turn off the sound effects.. Heck, if it let me turn them off during guided setup, it might literally be the first thing I do!)

8. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Really now? :rolleyes:

9. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I also turn off sound effects on all my tivos my wife and i hate the sounds. and we have owened 8 tivos ,currently down to 2 tivos .

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I like the sounds. However I always set them to Low since they are a bit too loud on the other settings. I'm actually kind of disappointed TiVo can't render them when the source audio is 5.1. I miss the doop, doop doop when FFing.

Dan

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I agree 100% with Dan. The sound effects let the user know his request has been accepted. There is nothing worse than waiting for an action to complete when one has no idea whether the request has even been received. When the batteries on the remote are gettting a little low, not having the sound effects would drive me insane. When the batteries are low, but nowhere near dead, under heavy use every fourth or fifth button press can be lost.

I also agree I would never notice a sound on channel changes. I haven't changed the channel more than 4 or 5 times in the last 12 years.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Hmm. I never noticed that one. I only rarely use FF.

13. toddspch

toddspch New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    All this sounds great for those of you who have the sounds turned off or never change channels, but just talk to people in the TV advertising industry -- there are still many of us out there who "graze" and channel changing is part of that equation. The fact that the channel changing is "slow" as Dan put it, is a problem in itself, but hearing the sound on each channel is just not necessary. (I wonder if the folks at Tivo thought this was an enhancement since we didn't seem to miss it for the last 12 years as multiple Tivo user.)

14. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    wait, you can watch live TV on a Tivo?

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Technically no, you can't. ;)

"Live" TV is delayed several milliseconds from being recorded to/retrieved from the hard drive. :p

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is the nature of digital TV. With MPEG-2 encoding, and even more so with MPEG-4/H.264 encoding, it can take a 1/2 second or so for the stream to hit a sync point where the device can even start to decode the video. Add in the slight lag TiVo has due to the way it buffers all video to the disc and you've got a 1+ second delay for each channel change.

Dan

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not if it is recording on all tuners. A rare occurrence, indeed, for that not to be the case.

18. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's delayed a lot longer than that. It varies by model, but it's about two seconds.

19. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Really? you can't watch "live" tv as it's being recorded? when did tivo make that change? :rolleyes:

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The yellow light blinking on the TiVo shows me that the request has been received.