1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Elite: And the Spontaneous Reboots Continue...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Wendy in NY, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1 of 246
    Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    The other spontaneous reboots thread was getting too long!

So here I am, as I write this, and my Elite is rebooting. This is the 4th spontaneous reboot since I received the 20.2 upgrade in January. Two programs were recording (which I of course have now lost a chunk of...again!) while I was watching a 3rd recorded program.

I am really at my wit's end. :thumbsdown:

2. Apr 1, 2012 #2 of 246
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My box was up to 28 days without a reboot so I decided to see if the online Season pass would still make it reboot. I had not touched the online season pass since the last reboot. So shortly after messing with the online Season pass on my Elite, it rebooted. I wonder what causes my box to reboot when I mess with the Online Season Pass? It doesn't have any affect on my two tuner Premieres. But at least in my situation I know what will cause a reboot. As long as I don't mess with the online Season Pass, then it is fine.

I guess when I pick up my second Elite this month I will find out if it's something specific to my box or not. I'll pick up a second Elite in two weeks.

3. Apr 1, 2012 #3 of 246
    Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    I've never used the Online Season Pass so I don't know what causes the reboots on my elite. I always know it's going to happen when if I'm on the menu screens and there's a long delay with every button I press and then presto! the red lights come on and there's the reboot.

However, the Elite has rebooted on it's own while I'm not watching it and the only way that I know that is if for example I'm recording The Walking Dead which is on from 9 - 10 PM. When the next day I go to the menus I'll see 2 Walking Deads, one from 9 to 9:20 and the 2nd from 9:30ish to 10. This happens A LOT and is VERY frustrating. Thank goodness for repeats.

4. Apr 1, 2012 #4 of 246
    TZR916

TZR916 New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Sacramento
    It's not just you.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #5 of 246
    mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I would really like to get an Elite, but am still on hold. It appears that a tuning adapter is involved in a lot of the problems.

Wendy, do you have a tuning adapter in your setup?

I do not.

6. Apr 1, 2012 #6 of 246
    Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    Nope, no tuning adapter. Aside from the M Card, the only "external" device that is installed is the bluetooth for the slide remote. I got the Elite in October and shortly afterward the spontaneous reboots sarted. In January I got the 20.2 upgrade and I was also instructed by a TiVo tech to run the S.M.A.R.T. drive test which took a little over 24 hours. It passed. I was also told that the 20.2 upgrade would eliminate the reboots. It did for about the 1st 3 weeks after the upgrade but I'm now up to 4 or 5 reboots. I was told to change the M card, I did, but the reboots continue.

Normally I don't purchase or download anything when it first is introduced because there are always kinks etc. that need to be ironed out but the 4-tuner aspect really sold me. I'm sure that the later models will have the reboot issue resolved but then where would that leave us?

7. Apr 1, 2012 #7 of 246
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Nope, and it's not just the Elite...

8. Apr 1, 2012 #8 of 246
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My two tuners Premieres have been fine when I mess with the online season passes. And the day my Elite rebooted, I had messed with the online season passes for all my Premieres, but only the Elite rebooted.

I guess I just won't mess with the online season passes again for the Elite until after the next software update.

9. Apr 1, 2012 #9 of 246
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Actually, it's how I get the TV in the family room. I send a season pass to my HD which makes it reboot. They get mad, clear out to watch another set and I can have the big TV. By the time they come back I'm watching something so...

10. Apr 2, 2012 #10 of 246
    minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    So it's a feature, not a bug. Nice! :)

11. Apr 2, 2012 #11 of 246
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So, have you people with the reboots called up Tivo and complained?

12. Apr 2, 2012 #12 of 246
    DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Do your Elites only reboot when you use the online season pass manager, or do they reboot at other inappropriate moments too?

13. Apr 2, 2012 #13 of 246
    DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I didn't think that the other thread was too long... Since you started this one, I have posted a link - in the old thread - so that people subscribed to it know there is a new one.

14. Apr 3, 2012 #14 of 246
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    +1
    Multiple threads on the same topic are generally not a good idea, especially when the first thread is still very active.

15. Apr 3, 2012 #15 of 246
    ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I subscribed to this one. Too Long? You should see some of the other threads (Page count at 256). Yeah it does get a bit hairy to search in it sometimes.

On a side note, if you report a reboot if you can please also provide the following info

Has anyone tracked this against

- TIVO Premiere Version (assuming everyone is at 20.2 but a spring update is coming soon)
    - Carrier (Comcast/TWC/FIOS)
    - CableCard/OTA
    - SDV / Tuning Adapter
    - Accesories Installed (External Drive, Bluetooth Remote)
    - What you where doing when it rebooted on you.

The reason I ask is so that we can see if some pattern emerges from the reboots.

16. Apr 3, 2012 #16 of 246
    Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    Sorry about that. :eek: It's just I got so friggin' frustrated.

To answer someone else's question, I don't use the online season pass but the Elite still reboots.

17. Apr 3, 2012 #17 of 246
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I asked for detailed info in a new thread that isn't getting much traction, hopefully users can start posting their setup:

Elite Owner Set-up Info Comparison
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=485328

18. Apr 3, 2012 #18 of 246
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    It can also be helpful when city and state are included in the visible user profile.

19. Apr 5, 2012 #19 of 246
    ardee00

ardee00 New Member

May 10, 2005
    This was happening to me too (brand new Elite), so I googled the problem and found this thread. Then I called TiVo and, because I could show it wasn't just me, the TiVo guy went and talked to the engineers then came back and told me that this is a KNOWN bug that they're working on.

I also mentioned to him that when you copy season passes from one TiVo to the other, it should preserve the priority order (duh!). It currently doesn't.

So it's back to rearranging the season passes via the remote control instead of the web site, at least for awhile. (How will we find out if they fix it? Trial and error?)

20. Apr 5, 2012 #20 of 246
    rrg

rrg New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    NJ
    Let's not lose sight of the fact that the reboot problem is NOT confined to those users who are using the online Season Pass feature. While that problem certainly needs to be fixed there's more required on TiVo's part.

It's so frustrating. As far as I can tell we've never gotten any clear indication that TiVo even admits that there's a more widespread issue here.

They've gone and dropped the price of the Elite by $100, which is great, and I'd love to repurchase it, but despite years of TiVo advocacy on my part I won't go near it again until I can trust it. It's already burned me once.