1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo, DirecTV Pact Extended to Feb 15, 2018

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drebbe, Aug 1, 2014.

1. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    Sector 7G
    Headline is all the info I really have.

"On July 28, 2014, DIRECTV extended the term of the Amended and Restated Development Agreement between TiVo Inc. and DIRECTV, LLC (formerly DIRECTV, Inc.) dated as of September 2, 2008, as amended by letter agreement dated April 20, 2009 (as amended, the "Agreement"). The Agreement has been extended until February 15, 2018. "
  2. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Active Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Because DirecTV is still selling a DVR with (a really old version of) TiVo software.
  3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I know they are, but why? They seem to have settled on going with their own Genie DVR, so why would they choose to keep offering an inferior, outdated TiVo product when they don't have to? Are they just doing it so they can unload what remains of their current inventory of these old boxes onto people who just don't know any better?
  4. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Its likely a business/$$ decision... continue this deal which is likely cheaper for DTV than to pay Tivo straight up for use of their patents
  5. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Which beg the question why didn't TiVo bribe/shoot kneecaps DirecTV into carrying the Roamio during the negotiation? Hell, why can't TiVo just sell a DirecTV Roamio box from their own website? Just hate the POS of a Genie box.
  6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    At the time this deal was made, the Roamio didn't exist. The deal was to turn the then-current HR22 into a quasi-TiVo. It took much longer than anyone expected.

As for the Genie, I like it a lot. It is not in any way a "POS".