1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Desktop - video not playing

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sneagle, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1 of 44
    sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member TCF Club

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I am guessing this is a computer issue, not a Tivo issue.

I installed Tivo Desktop on my Windows XP system. I transferred shows to my computer. I hit PLAY and Windows Media Player 11 opens and I see it says something about the codec being acquired. Then nothing happens.

In WMP, if I look at the file properties, it says Length: 00:00 and Media Type: Audio.

Downloaded video from the internet works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks, in advance.

2. Nov 7, 2007 #2 of 44
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    You need an MPEG-2 codec for your PC. WMP only downloads and self installs free codecs, and MPEG-2 codecs are not free (at least officially). You will have to get one yourself. There are several known good choices recommended in recent threads here where this question was asked in the last few days, or you can add DVD playback software to your computer, or you can pay TiVo for a Plus key that will unlock the codec already residing in TiVo Desktop. If you plan on purchasing Plus anyway, so that you can transfer WMP, Xvid and DivX files to your TiVo, then you won't need one from any other sources.

CuriousMark

3. Nov 7, 2007 #3 of 44
    sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I have Nero, but apparently that was not enough. I bought Tivo Plus. Now I have audio and no video. I very briefly see video then it goes essentially dark. I am looking at Microsoft's site now.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #4 of 44
    CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Plus should just work. You could try turning off the video mixing renderer in WMP 11 under advanced performance and see if that helps. I would hate it if I steered you wrong and had you spending money for nothing.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #5 of 44
    sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I think this is a Windows issue. Still, I have tried changing windows media player preferences multiple times without success. I have called Tivo to see if they have a solution. So far, I have been on the phone with them for at least 30 minutes. Currently, I am uninstalling and re-installing Tivo Desktop.

This sucks.

6. Nov 7, 2007 #6 of 44
    sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    Ok, Tivo support was friendly but in the end not helpful. They feel it is a codec issue as well. They directed me to this page: http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=46F86213-A109-4C3E-845A-FBCD815E5512

and suggested I get the Nvidia or Cyberlink Codec...of course you have to pay for those. So I will wait for Tivo to come up with a better solution. They also mentioned AC3Filter, but it is not supported by Tivo.

FYI, I can't see HD or SD video. I only get audio.

7. Nov 7, 2007 #7 of 44
    CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    There are several "free" or trial codecs recommended in nearby threads in this forum. Adding one of those may help. Also, removing the codec that is playing wrong can help. If WMP can't find the wrong codec it will try the next one it finds and that one might work well.

The strange thing is that with Plus, the codec is supposed to be hard wired and the only one WMP will use to play *.tivo files. So it should always work, the fact that it isn't working for you is actually somewhat unusual. I don't know why, sorry I couldn't be more help.

8. Nov 8, 2007 #8 of 44
    gadaoman

gadaoman New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    I am also having a problem viewing video using Desktop 2.51 and WMP 11. Audio is fine, but no video at all. The computer is running Vista Home Premium, which is supposed to have all the codecs built-in, so that *shouldn't* be an issue. However, when I look at Properties while the audio is running, there is no video codec indicated.

I've spoken with TiVo customer support, but they couldn't help. Can anyone else?

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 44
    sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I bought Roxio 10 today thinking that would help. Sadly, it did not. Very frustrating.

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Forgive me if this is insulting, but did you input the keycode for Plus into Tivo Desktop. Another forum member didn't realize there is only one download for TivoDesktop for both the free version and Plus. What makes them different is unlocking the software with the code.

This is troubling to hear Plus's codec isn't working. I was under the impression that was a guaranteed fix. :(

Here is a free one that others have had luck with.
    http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard

winesnob likes this.
  11. sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    Not insulted at all. I actually un-installed TTG. Rebooted the computer. Re-downloaded TTG and reinstalled. When I went to put in the Plus code, it seemed to already know I had TTG Plus.

I am at work now. I will try the supplied link when I get home.

Thanks.

12. gadaoman

gadaoman New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    The Customer Service person I spoke with at TiVo told me that the company had received very few, if any, complaints about missing video. Could we somehow get a headcount of people with similar experiences, so we can convince TiVo that it's not such a rare problem?

13. sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I'll start...one

14. F8ster

F8ster The Very Last One

May 26, 2002
    The magic formula for me:

DirectShow Dump +
    AC3Filter +
    Media Player Classic

This even works with HD content. I wasted $15 on the Intervideo codec (which didn't work for HD) before finding this combination.

15. ricocarlos

ricocarlos New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Since upgrading to 2.51 I too am having the audio but no video problem.

16. sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    That sucks. FYI, I installed AC3Filter and Coke2K. Still does not work. Do I have to do some setup with these installations?

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    If the codecs installed by Cole2K (InterVideo) are not being used, you can try adjusting merit values using DirectShow Filter Manager.

http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

18. keenanSR

keenanSR Member TCF Club

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Is it the MainConcept decoder that would cause jerky playback in WMP11?

19. ricocarlos

ricocarlos New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    I just tried this on an old computer with an older version of tivo togo. This computer also had old codecs that previously worked. So I think the issue is with Tivo's newer firmware. I believe it is version 9.1 that I am on. Has

20. sneagle

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I have tried this, though not completely sure which things to modify. I also re-installed WMP 11. Still, no go.

This is quite frustrating.