1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Tivo Desktop" to restore shows after drive upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Greg Lovern, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    We've had our Tivo HD for about 5 years, and it's getting jittery and sometimes stops and needs rebooting. I've decided to try a new 2TB drive from dvr_dude.

If I use the free version of the "Tivo Desktop" software to back up our recorded shows to our computer's hard drive, and then upgrade the Tivo's drive, will I be able to restore them to the upgraded Tivo?

Or do I need the $24.95 version of "Tivo Desktop" to do that?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Followup question:

The installer asks whether I want to use the "fastest method" to transfer files, with the warning that files transferred by that method can't be transferred back to "older Tivo DVRs".

But it doesn't explain how old is "older". Does "older" include my Tivo HD? Do I need to use the slower method to be able to transfer them back to my Tivo HD?

Thanks,

Greg

3. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Another followup question:

Is there any problem with watching shows on the Tivo while transferring shows to the PC?

Thanks,

Greg

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Technically, the HD will not accept "faster" (transport stream) .TiVo files, but TiVo Desktop conceals this by remuxing them to program streams on the fly, as it transfers. So, you'd get the higher speed pulling them off, but not when putting them back. I dunno if the remuxing is a Plus feature. Otherwise, the free version is sufficient. You can turn off the "faster" transfers at any time.

Watching while transferring is no problem.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The "fastest method" for transfers in TiVo Desktop only applies if you have a Series 4 machine. With the Series 4, you have a choice of transferring a "Program Stream" (slower) or a "Transport Stream" (faster).
    Series 3 and older machines only offer a "Program Stream" for transferring.

For you, it won't matter if that "faster method" box is checked or not. You will still get the same Program Stream either way.

Edit: BTW, the free version of Tivo Desktop is all you need to do what you want.

6. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Thanks all, the transfer is underway.

I calculate that the transfer will be done sometime Monday morning if I let it run continuously until then!

Greg