1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Desktop Plus - Attempted Downloads Failing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Feb 16, 2013.

1. sw10025

sw10025 New Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    My Tivo Desktop Plus was working fine this afternoon, and then this evening, right after the support hours closed, started acting up. Basically, whenever I try to download a video, any video, from either of my Series 2 Tivos, it immediately fails, and nothing I've tried has gotten it working again.

Here's what I've already tried (not necessarily in order I tried them):

1. Rebooting my PC;

2. Repairing Tivo Desktop Plus (through the PC's control panel);

3. Removing and then putting back permissions to download videos in my account on tivo.com

4. Changing the discovery protocol from Bonjour for Windows to Tivo Beacon and back again (didn't work using either)

5. Making both the Tivos connect to the Tivo service (repeatedly)

6. I checked to see if I should re-input my media key but it looks like if I do that, I won't be able to access any of the many, many programs I have on the PC, so I didn't mess with that.

7. I killed all the Tivo related processes I saw in Windows Task Manager and tried reopening Tivo Desktop Plus

I'm out of ideas what I can try, and since I won't be able to talk to support until tomorrow, thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas what else I should try. Any thoughts?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  3. sw10025

sw10025 New Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Thank you for posting the link to that thread. I tried searching for the problem, but apparently I don't know any of the lingo that's contained in that discussion, most of its all way, way above my head. Fortunately, I did get the part about turning the clock back, eh voila, that seems to have resolved the problem!

Thank you so much for the link to that discussion!

4. MOJU

MOJU New Member

Feb 16, 2013
    So glad I visited this forum, I had 16 shows to download since my Windows update on the 15th, and now, by changing my PC date back to the 12th, it all seems good again in the 'hood...

5. sw10025

sw10025 New Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
  6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    To repeat: It has nothing to do with Windows update. Or Windows.

7. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I seem to be having a similar problem, I normally use TivoPlaylist to transfer off my 2 premier units to a laptop for later viewing, every time I initiated a transfer the transfer would start then immediately terminate, I tried transferring with Tivo Desktop and that failed as well. I rolled back the date to the 13th and all seems to operate normally.

8. thorpemark

thorpemark New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I really hate the idea that the solution that works is to change the date on your PC. I'm happy that I am transferring again.. but c'mon now. The session ID timeout thing needs to be fixed.

9. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    There is a better way (much better actually, since modifying your computer's date could mess up other software), and it's pretty easy too. Morac, Cat God--but realistically TiVo god--came up with it and documented it here. If you're using Windows, you can edit the file in question by right-clicking and selecting Open With...Notepad.

10. mrmega

mrmega New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I applied his simple fix yesterday (which needed reboot on XP) and it has worked flawlessly (with the correct date/time) on a S2, S3 HD and a S4 HD using Tivo Desktop on a Windows XP machine :)

mrmega