1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Desktop for Mac 1.9.3 is out and universal...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Dennis Wilkinson, May 2, 2006.

1. May 2, 2006 #1 of 293
    Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    I don't have an Intel Mac myself, but I know folks have been waiting for this, and I know not everyone skims MacUpdate or VersionTracker religiously... ;)

Head on over to http://www.tivo.com/desktop/ for the download.

Looks like there's are a few other changes besides being universal, but I won't have time to play with it until this evening.

2. May 2, 2006 #2 of 293
    EwanG

EwanG New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Of course it still doesn't support the Tivo To Go functionality :(

Oh well...

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 293
    Dennis Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    We just got to the beginning of "mid-2006". When a company promises software in a range like that, it's unusual that they mean the beginning of the range... ;)

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 293
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    well, we're getting there... its a step forward, and one that at least shows they're not ignoring us

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 293
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    *yawn*

wake me up when TiVo does something SUBSTANTIAL for the Mac community.

even better if it's not months and months overdue.

6. May 3, 2006 #6 of 293
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Oh, really...?! Did you get a chance to poke around and how close do you think we are to TTG? ;)

7. May 3, 2006 #7 of 293
    Dennis Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    For starters, there's a "FileVideo.plugin" that wasn't there before. The UI doesn't look any different at first glance. Haven't had any real time to poke at it yet, that was just my "did the same things get installed as last time" look.

8. May 3, 2006 #8 of 293
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    FileVideo.plugin ?

Interesting, given that its only for Photos and Music... hmmmmmsies....

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 293
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Any chance this new plug-in enables the ComeBack portion of TiVoToGo? TiVo uses a similarly named plug-in on the PC side to support that functionality.

Dan

10. May 3, 2006 #10 of 293
    AugieMac

AugieMac New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    So if I gather this correct there is no way currently for my Intel MacBook Pro to get movies off my Tivo box?

11. May 3, 2006 #11 of 293
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    As it stands, it may be splitting hairs but you can *transfer* shows to your Mac, but you'll have no way to decrypt them for playback. You'll need a PC... for now. Unless there's some secret functionality that Dennis uncovers. ;)

12. May 3, 2006 #12 of 293
    mikellanes

mikellanes New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Does tivo tool not work in rosetta?

13. May 3, 2006 #13 of 293
    Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

May 1, 2005
    I'm seeing this as a good sign only because the presence of a universal binary must mean they are using xcode now as a development tool.

14. May 3, 2006 #14 of 293
    Dennis Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    OK, I've done a bit more digging. Just for giggles, I'll walk through it.

Starting the TiVo Desktop server also placed a "TiVoShows" folder in my home directory. Just placing a file in that directory didn't do anything, even after starting and stopping the server.

So, I look at the "Raw" preferences, i.e., in Terminal:

Code:
    defaults read com.tivo.desktop
    and see the following in the output:

Code:
        FileVideo = {
            Enabled = 0; 
            ShareAll = 1; 
            SharedItems = ("/Users/dennis/TiVoShows"); 
            SharingName = "Elroy (Dennis J Wilkinson II)"; 
            VideoUIEnabled = 0; 
            vKey = ""; 
        }; 
    Hmm. Let's try enabling it:

Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add Enabled -bool true
    and restart the server. Hey hey... my Mac is in my Now Playing list -- with the MPEG file I added listed. But what's this "VideoUIEnabled" switch?

Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true
    Re-open the TiVo Desktop pref pane and, yup... there's a Video tab now, that'll let you enable/disable video sharing, set the location, enter your MAK, and set a video share name.

In other words, as Dan surmised above, they implemented TiVoToComeback! :)

If you want to play with this yourself, just:

1) Stop the TiVo Desktop server in the pref pane. Close the pref pane.

2) Launch the Terminal utility (in /Applications/Utiliities) and, at the prompt, enter the following command (copy and paste is your friend) and press return:
    Code:
    defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true
    If you have Apple's developer tools installed, you can open the com.tivo.desktop.plist file in your preferences folder with the Property List Editor and change the setting that way, too.

3) Reopen the pref pane, turn on video sharing, and set things up as you like. I don't know if you need to enter your MAK -- I didn't, and a plain-jane MPEG transferred OK, but I haven't tried a .tivo file.)

4) Start the server again.

Disclaimer time: Use at your own risk. If it's there, but turned off, there may very well be a reason for it (as in, it might not be ready for prime time, may have ghastly bugs, et cetera.) I've transferred exactly one MPEG file of the right flavor so far, and it worked. But if this thing goes off and trashes your hard drive, devours your children, whatever: don't blame me or TiVo. It was hidden, after all.

OK, now I'm going to go watch Lost, and use this thing for what I bought it for... ;)

Edit: To make things easier for those who don't like (or even know about) the Terminal application, I whipped together an AppleScript applet that toggles the VideoUIEnabled setting (and disables the "Enabled" setting when turning off the UI.) Consider the applet to be in the public domain, and completely devoid of any warranty. While I'd expect it to work for most configurations, it may not. It does no version checking whatsoever, but the worst that should mean right now would be preferences that do nothing in older versions of TiVo Desktop. Use at your own risk.

To use the applet, just download the attachment, unzip it, and double-click. It's a toggle, so one run enables, the next run disables.

Attached Files:

15. May 3, 2006 #15 of 293
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Wow, that's incredible, awesome news! Thanks for figuring it out and documenting it. :D

16. May 3, 2006 #16 of 293
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    That's awesome and THANK YOU for the spiffy walkthrough!

Any tips on quick-and-easy ways of converting video files to work with the TiVo? I have QuickTime Pro and VLC, and can probably get my hands on anything else that might be useful... (c:

17. May 4, 2006 #17 of 293
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    I've been using ffmpegX for a while now -- but where I would have to place the resulting MPEG-2 files into a shared folder where Virtual PC running TiVo Desktop could reach them

Use MPEG-2 for the video and MP2 for the audio.

I set the bit rate to 1000 and the resolution to 640 x 480 (with 4:3 aspect ratio)

Make sure you change the file name extension on the resulting file so that it's .mpg since ffmpegX will put something like ".ff" at the end instead.

18. May 4, 2006 #18 of 293
    junebughunter

junebughunter New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I've got about as far as Dennis, pretty cool so far, definitely looks to be promising...and no issues yet...

19. May 4, 2006 #19 of 293
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    awesome news for the unhacked standalone peeps!
    Thanks for poking around Dennis!

20. May 4, 2006 #20 of 293
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I was playing with it last night. I don't think I had my settings quite like that, so I'll try it again tonight when I'm home.

Oddly, it would start the conversion, get to 100%, and then keep going... I usually cancelled it about 108%. Ever have that happen to you? Does it eventually stop?