1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Desktop Causes Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Gary-B, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Seems that Roamio doesn't like some .mp4 files. I have run across a dozen or so that will cause the Roamio to reboot. I run VideoReDo and just remux the files and they transfer fine. Anyone else having this problem?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you using TiVo Desktop? TiVo Desktop should be recoding the files to MPEG-2 so I can't imagine why it would be a problem. If you're using pyTiVo then I believe that tries to simply remux the H.264 data to a TiVo compatible TS stream. That could cause a problem if the MP4 has bad data, and would explain why running it through VRD first would fix the problem.

3. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Tivo Desktop 2.8.3. On my Elite's, it would just fail the transfer with the error file size not what expected or something like that. On the Roamio, watching my network monitor, Tivo Desktop quits transferring but the Blue light on the Roamio is still on. After 15 seconds like that, boom, reboot.
    I could never get pytivo to work.

4. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks Dan, you mentioning mpeg-2 got me thinking. I went out and found a set of mpeg-2 codec's and installed it, rebooted and tried to transfer the last show that caused a reboot. Transferred fine this time.

5. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hello.

I am having some problems like this. Could you point me to the mpeg-2 codec's you installed? :)

Jeff

6. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    It seems the codec's didn't fix the problem. Wishful thinking on my part. Still dealing with the problem but I think I've narrowed it down. If a show causes a reboot, I can rename the show and it'll usually transfer the renamed show fine. It seems like if it's going to reboot, the network speeds will be around 6 - 8MB transfer rate, then it'll shoot up to around 32 - 36MB. My network status drops back down to 0 but the blue light on the Tivo stays on, like it's expecting more of the video file. It'll then freeze and then reboot. Tivo support has been no help, it's almost like they don't support Tivo Desktop anymore. I've bought a Popcorn Hour C-300 to watch video from the newsgroups on.

7. jrock

jrock New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    Since you brought up the Popcorn Hour, has anyone tried the Google Chromecast? It looks interesting and is only $35