1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Desktop broke

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Pixel, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Pixel

Pixel Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Sorry, I don't post much. This just a tale of what happened. If I did it wrong, let me know. I'm always happy to learn something.

I had a problem with Tivo Desktop last weekend. Something about not finding a network location or something. But it wouldn't open so i could fix it. It wouldn't let me reinstall either. I went to uninstall it, but uninstall wasn't available either!!!!

Uh,oh.

Since I had a recent drive image where the desktop worked, I decided to edit the registry manually. If I hosed it, there's always that image in my pocket. It took an hour going line by line looking for every Tivo entry and deleting that key. Done! And the computer still started. Then it allowed a reinstall. Which works normally now.

But - in my experience, this behavior in a program was truly odd. Is this something Tivo Desktop does routinely, or is this some sort of bizarre one time happening? And was that a reasonable solution on my part, or are there other things I could have done that would have been easier and faster?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you know enough about your PC to edit the registry, then go with pyTivo. Skip desktop.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah except I would add kmttg and vidmgr, at a minimum, to pyTivo.

4. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

you could have tried TiVo Desktop Cleaner utility

5. Pixel

Pixel Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I did try the desktop cleaner utility - didn't do anything. :(

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah Tivo Desktop has a few bugs. Some are unexplainable.
    For instance, if you have a corrupted video file in your My Tivo Recordings folder, the Tivo server will stop working. I found this out the hard way.
    I'd say whatever you did to get it working was the right step.

What exactly did you do when you edited the registry? It might help other users with the same problem.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    One of the computers I have running Desktop has a sick hard drive.

I had a shortcut to this hard drive in the My TiVo Recordings folder.

With the drive not connected, TiVo Desktop complained about it and wouldn't open.

I deleted the shortcut and it worked again.

I have no idea if this relates to your problem, but put it here for future searchers.

8. Pixel

Pixel Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Wisconsin
    What I did was boot up normally, make a backup of my registry, then I ran REGEDIT and begin searching for every instance of "Tivo" in it. I deleted every key that Tivo appeared in, but was careful to delete only the Tivo lines of a few keys that also reference other programs.

Manually searching for and deleting every Tivo reference in the registry took me about an hour. Yes, it was a pain in the butt. Yes, it was worth doing. sometimes you do what you gotta do.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    In less than half that time, you could have had a really terrific system in place. Kmttg + pyTivo + vidmgr just blow the doors off TDT. Even just kmttg + pyTivo does.