1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Desk Top Program

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RusRus, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1 of 17
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?

2. Sep 9, 2013 #2 of 17
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I guess technically you're correct. Never really thought about it before. I find no real reason to care. Everyone here knows what everyone is talking about if they say they transferred a show using TTG.

3. Sep 9, 2013 #3 of 17
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe TiVo doesn't like to use the word "copy", which insinuates "theft" when you're dealing with the content providers.
    And "transfer" is more appropriate when referring to TD Plus, as the plus feature allows you to transfer video files that are not normally compatible with the Tivo.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #4 of 17
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    Then why would you have to transfer shows back to your DVR?

5. Sep 9, 2013 #5 of 17
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't use Windows, so this is more just an academic question.

Does Tivo Desktop successfully transfer programs that will NOT transfer with kmttg? That is, shows that have a slight video glitch will stop transferring at that point with kmttg. (If you transfer BETWEEN Tivos, the full program is transferred.) ...and with the breakage of the 'transfer from pause point' in recent Tivo software (the DVR end), you can't even use that as a workaround (if the glitch happened to be at a convenient point).

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    No. There is only one mechanism for TTG, which they both use.

Sometimes it helps to use transport stream mode (which they both support). TiVo Desktop calls it the "faster" mode, or something like that; KMTTG labels the option "Download TiVo files in Transport Stream mode", under "Program Options".

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    To watch it if you deleted it from the TiVo manually or it got deleted for space reasons.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You are correct, it's really copying, and calling it a transfer is somewhat misleading.

But that's what TiVo calls it.

But at least they're consistently wrong.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's not just what "TiVo calls it", it's what everybody calls it. When you use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to "get" or "put" a file, it isn't automatically removed from the source system.

10. Ricco67

Ricco67 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I own the desktop plus version and I thought t was a godsend. If my TiVo was getting full, is just park it on my desktop and either put it back when I had room or transfer it to my phone.

For some reason, the program doesn't work anymore, but simply had the time to troubleshoot it.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Bummer, I thought *maybe* Tivo Desktop used the same 'transfer' that happens between Tivos, which is NOT screwed up by glitched recordings.

Since Tivo is 'just' running a web server underneath, I really don't quite get how this causes an error anyway.. It's not like it's getting an I/O error. It's probably a relatively simple bug that could be fixed!!!

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I think I've explained it before - it's much, much more than byte transfers happening which is why TTG historically has been CPU limited. There's decrypt, demux, remux, encrypt happening and glitches sometimes seem to break 1 or more of those tasks. In contrast MRV is likely just byte transfers, so glitches don't matter at all.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Maybe it's that "expired cookie" screwup from last February.

14. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Link to the fix for the cookie issue: here

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I can assure you glitches also affect MRV transfers. I had an MRV transfer failure just yesterday.
    I will note however, that the glitch caused the playback to freeze on the originating Tivo.
    Minor glitches that don't affect playback on the originating Tivo usually don't cause a problem for MRV.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    All hail notting and morac!

Heroes of the St. TiVo's Day Massacre!

17. christheman

christheman New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Bingo. Transfer can mean whatever you want it to. IE "I transferred this temporary tattoo", or "These reels of celluloid film are about to be transferred using that Film Transfer service." Different meanings. Ambiguous word. Possibly ambiguous for a reason.