1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Clock Issue - Permanent work-around?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by TivoRocks193, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    As detailed in this thread, TiVo released a bug around 2/16/2013 that prevents TiVo transferring unless the clock on the computer is reset to an earlier date, such as 2/13/2013. For continued use, the user must every day change the date of the clock to be in the past.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have a more permanent work-around?

2) Has anyone gotten a definitive answer from TiVo about when a solution will be coming.

No need to comment if you are experiencing this issue, it's widespread and has been reported by many. I'd like to only here from people who have solutions and/or have spoken to TiVo and gotten them to acknowledge the issue.

2. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Nevermind, the suggestion in this thread works. You just need to update your curl.conf located in Windows 7 at:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop\curl.conf

With the line:

cookie = "sid=abc"

All working again. This is a pretty major screw up by TiVo though...

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    LOL. Fire then aim. Fire then aim. :rolleyes:

Further evidence the forum's search feature is grossly underutilized.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    To be clear, they released this bug around 2005. (!) It just didn't become a problem until Feb. 16, 2013. It was like a lurking time bomb, except that I assume it was placed by accident.

5. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

I've located the curl.conf file , should the quotation marks in the added line be included ? Txs

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    FYI:

Whoever wrote the Mac version of the TiVo transfer software apparently ignored the cookie on the TiVo, because it still works just fine without any modifications.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes.

8. steve771

steve771 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Just got off a chat with Tivo as I had a computer meltdown and lost my Desktop Plus key. I was warned they were having 'problems' when I mentioned that Desktop wouldn't transfer files. They gave me the 'set your computer to a date before 2/17' as a workaround. It's a bit of a pain, so I came here, and sure enough, the community has the solution!

I wanted to toss in my 'thanks' for this fix (it works great), and a shame on Tivo for letting this go for almost 2 weeks w/o a fix!

9. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I prefer using TiVoPlayList for transfers and found someone here on TCF mention a freeware program called RunAsDate which will run TiVoPlayList as if it were a date before 2/16 while leaving the system clock unaffected.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501378#5

10. dcahoe

dcahoe TiVoPlayList Author

Jan 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes this expired cookie issue. Thanks everyone. Enjoy.

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
  12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yay, a software update for my S2 (9.x) and S3 (11.x)! What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Glad to see they are fixing this for all platforms though.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Waiting for all the people who said that nasty TiVo would never do this to apologize ......... :p Of course it's of little significance to most of us since there are already patches or fixes for Desktop, kmttg, pyTivo and TivoPlaylist.

14. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Maybe they can fix a few other things too:

Series 3 - Allow H.264 channels (Fios just announced they are moving towards them in April). The code is mostly in the tivo, just needs to be connected to the play system. WITHOUT THIS FIX, TIVOHD UNITS WILL START LOSING CABLE CHANNELS AS THEY MOVE TO H.264

Also, change 'Now Playing' to 'My Shows', for a more consistent experience
    Also, Add the Tivo addons that allow the ipad tivo app to talk to the season pass manager, now showing, etc, like in a series 4

15. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    TiVo has released a patch for TiVo Desktop 2.8.3. I removed my work around lines from curl.conf, applied the patch and checked to see what was different. The patch added the cookie lines back to curl.conf (file now dated 03/01/13). :D

16. mrmega

mrmega New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Morac I wanted to thank you again for the fix

I also wanted to mention that I just saw an email TIVO sent me today informing me about the patch. The first thing I did was search for posts by you to see if you had any comments. I wasn't going to apply their patch without some research. For one thing I was content to just use the curl file edit you provided but I thought I should test the patch in case they force it into the Desktop software as an update. I didn't want TIVO to break your fix :p

I think it's REALLY "funny" and interesting that it took them so long for them to implement and distribute something you fixed immediately :)

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't. We're talking about TiVo here. :p To be fair, they most likely put *their TD fix* through a beta test, which takes time.
    It's going to take even more time to fix in the DVR software as that will also have to go through a beta test.

If it hadn't been for notting figuring out the problem and morac for coming up with the fix, TiVo would be lost.

TiVo doesn't want to admit it, but this forum is a valuable resource.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    So does the TiVo "patch" actually use the "sid=abc" wording? Not even a different sid?

19. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yep. :D

20. mrmega

mrmega New Member

Dec 3, 2007

Along with the royalties idea or the lifetime free Tivo's and stuff mentioned in the other thread I think they should really credit you and notting. I mean seriously, you guys and the other regulars who discuss technical things here really saved a ton of people a ton of heartache. The least they could do is publicly credit you guys, or at least mention that "the forums regulars" or something!

Do I think they will? I do not. But I believe they SHOULD... but then again I am one of those guys who believes people (and companies) should always try to do the right thing.