1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo/Cablecard at another house

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mistakite, Oct 27, 2013.

1. mistakite

mistakite New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm babysitting my nephew at my parents' house which is in the same part of town. They have cable, but no premium stations, so can I being my tivo over to their house for the night so I can watch channels they don't get? If this is a legal matter, then I won't don't it, but am still curious if it is technically possible...

2. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    The legality would be spelled out in the cable companies Terms of Service online.
    As to the technical details, it should work if its the same cable company as yours and you are in the same town.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I can't see how it would be illegal.

The problem you will have is that unless it is the same cable company, your card won't be paired and you won't receive the premium channels anyway.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Its not legal but for a night I don't see any problems, the reason is you could have your parents pay only for basic cable service, then set up a TiVo with a cable card at your home and give it to them so they would get all the stations you are paying for at the cost of one cable card.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Goes to show what I know, I didn't think the Cable Card was package specific. Do you know that for a fact?

But even if it is, he is paying for his use - he isn't duplicating the card just temporarily relocating it. Service is paid for and only the authorized nodes are accessing it.

I still say it isn't "illegal" - not theft of service.

Either way - yes - short term shouldn't matter either way. But as I said, the cable card isn't generic - has to be the same company and preferably the same channel line-up.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're going to be able to watch TV I'm guessing your nephew hasn't learned to walk yet. ;) :D

7. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    This is an interesting question. If we were talking about satellite TV, then generally what you propose would be questionable at best, and account stacking at worst. For one night, it's probably not worth worrying about the "legal" implications.

As far as whether or not it will work from a technical perspective..maybe.

Do they have digital cable or a cable modem? If so, and your house is served by the same headend as their house, then it *should*

If they only have analog cable or for any reason there is some kind of filter on the line, then no it won't work.

It may still not work. Modern cable networks are complex beasts, so there may be some kind of weird management in place that prevents it from working properly, but theoretically it should.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You could always bring over the TiVo and catch up on stuff already recorded on it.

9. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    if by chance you have a roamio, there is out of home streaming that might be an option.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    same part of town, and you DO have premium channels.. I bet it would work. Since you're paying for the premium channels at your house, to me, this would be at worst a "very light gray" matter... (and I'm one who almost always says "yes, this is stealing" to the threads in the Coffee House Forum).

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If one is paying for cable, it is only for his (one) address, bring cable service to another address is not legal period, you think people that run cable to their neighbors home and split the bill is a legal way to cut cable cost?? As I said for one night if the cable system is the same, no problem.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The way I see it, morally, not legal fine print-wise, is that he's paying for cable not for a single house, but for a single household, i.e., the person or people usually living in that house.

Of course if cable companies could get away with a "per-eyeball" fee instead of a "per address" fee, I'm sure they'd be charging it, and no discounts for any one-eyed people, either.

On the other side of the moral argument is that the cable company is having to pay for the electricity to push signal to both his and his parents' houses, although if they have a cable sub as well, I'm not sure even that argument holds up.

13. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    From a strict letter of the law it's probably against your agreement with the cable company. From a copyright/"stealing" standpoint it's functionally not really all that different than using a slingbox.

Since stealing cable by stacking accounts is really, really hard, it doesn't come up nearly as much as it does with satellite, which is super easy to stack up and rip off DirecTV or Dish.

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I not sure I see the difference between a single house or a single household, to me they are the same, you can have people over to your home to watch anything you get (and pay for) on your cable, but you can't charge them to view a program, once you move the signal out of your home that would be illegal, using a Sling Box to watch a non network station outside your home is illegal, but hard for the cable co.s to find out about that and do anything about the Sling Box. I don't think the Sling Box takes much if any money from the MSO anyways.
    I only answering the question the OP asked, is it legal, not if I would do it myself (I would use a Sling Box if I wanted to and had a use for one)

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If everybody moves out, it's still a house, but until someone is living there, it is no longer a household.

And I did indicate I was speaking of moral and not legal.

And actually the OP was asking more along the lines of was it technically possible than whether it was legally permissable.

16. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Generally, if no one is watching the programming in two places at once, it's viewed as OK.

For example, DirecTV doesn't require two accounts if you have an RV, or a vacation home, as long as you take one of your receivers with you and it's not permanent and it's not one family watching it at home and another family watching it somewhere else at the same time.

I suspect the cable company would have more of a problem with it from a technical perspective than any content-related aspect.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, I was presuming he was bringing his only Tivo to the other house, to get the premium channels at THAT house, instead of at his actual house.. And he is paying for premiums at his own house...

18. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That does not make any difference how many TiVos he has or that he is paying for the service at his home. He is bringing his cable service to another address, it is still illegal, but as I said, for one night he not going to have a problem.

Bringing your TiVo to another home to watch what you have already recorded, (in that other home) is OK, just like lending a DVD to a friend or bringing your own DVD to the other home to watch.

19. Doit2it

Doit2it Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Isn't this a moot point? I don't think it would work. Even if the cable card was set up to receive premium channels, he's connecting the Tivo to an account line that doesn't have permission to receive premium channels. So the Tivo will have nothing to receive when tuned to those stations. If it did, I should be able to receive every station Xfinity offers just by inserting a cable card. And of course I don't.

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It's the card and configuration of that card at the headend that authorizes what channels you receive and that is not done on a "line" or connection basis. This is why you can move within a city (assuming it's served by the same headend) and not have to change your equipment.

Scott