1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO BOLT SUCKS!

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Daniel Whanon, Mar 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mar 5, 2017 #1 of 16
    Daniel Whanon

Daniel Whanon New Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I recently had my whole household switch to TiVo Bolts with fios. I used to be able to watch all my favorite shows with On Demand, BUT TIVO BOLT DOES NOT SUPPORT ON DEMAND FOR FIOS USERS! I ******* HATE TIVO AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND SMASHING YOURS! Peace - Daniel

2. Mar 5, 2017 #2 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, it's pretty unconscionable for TiVo to be advertising that you can get FiOS OnDemand through their units, only to find it's not true.

JoeKustra likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #3 of 16
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    When have they done that? :confused:

4. Mar 6, 2017 #4 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I was waiting for the "oh wait they don't..."

Scott

5. Mar 6, 2017 #5 of 16
    zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Before you smash yours, I'll give you $10 for it.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #6 of 16
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi Daniel,
    Hopefully, you have calmed down a bit by now. The thing is that even though Tivo's current programming is a bit off, simply creating a one-pass for your favorite shows should pretty much eliminate the need for VOD, as you should easily find the shows that you missed right there at your fingertips.
    PS. If you haven't calmed down, I'll be happy to give you $11 for your Bolt.

lynncosbm likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2017 #7 of 16
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Should have done more research. It's pretty well known that TiVo doesn't support VOD for FIOS. The CableCARD spec does not require any sort of VOD support so it's up to TiVo and the cable companies to make a special deal to develop an app to support VOD on TiVo. So far they've only been able to do that with Comcast, COX and RCN. They were working with Charter on something at one point, but that fell through. They've never announced any sort of partnership with Verizon or Frontier.

8. Mar 7, 2017 #8 of 16
    lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    VoD is available to FiOS customers, just not FiOS VoD. Many channels have apps which let you access programs on demand. CBS app lets you view the most recent OTA programs for free. HBO, Showtime, Epix, TCM, hallmark all have apps. Many of the apps are available on your tivo. Alternatively use Chromecast.

Do you use FiOS VoD to rent current movies? Try Vudu.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. Mar 8, 2017 #9 of 16
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'll go as high as $15 for the Bolt. :cool:

krkaufman likes this.
  10. tluxon

tluxon Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I'm really confused. You want us to smash OUR TiVos? What if we LIKE them?

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I love my Bolt! But I already knew that I couldn't get On Demand with a cableCARD, from my Premieres. I don't love that. I've brought it up to people at Charter a couple of times but, clearly, they don't care. Furthermore, I'd be shocked if that changed. :(

But the Bolt is awesome. Way faster than the Premieres, 'Quick Mode', 'skip'. I use these features all the time. Plus it has a larger hdd. I would replace my other Premiere with another Bolt except that I just can't justify it, since the Premiere works fine (as does the other one that is currently shelved). Oh, and I also love not having to hook up a wireless adapter, as the Bolt has it internally. They should have done that a long time ago.

12. eherberg

eherberg Member

Feb 16, 2011
    That's the rub ... he never said he was going to smash his TiVo. He just wants you to smash yours. :)

davidblackledge likes this.
  13. eherberg

eherberg Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I suspect the original post should have read "Recently my Dad switched our whole household to TiVo Bolts with fios". You know the darn kids now-a-days. If it ain't streaming, then there must be no other way to watch it.

pj1983 likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, it *might* improve the resale value of *his* BOLT if we were all to smash the DVRs we're quite fond of and would quickly be looking to replace.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I was thinking the same thing. :)

Scott

16. tluxon

tluxon Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I wonder how many Bolts were committed to with this "whole household switch"?