1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo BlueRay Add on Player

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by bradleys, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I would love to see TiVo release a USB add-on Blueray player. In the spirit of the HDDVD player the XBox offered some time back.

Something that would use the same remote and the same trick play look and feel.

Put a DVD in the player and the movie shows up in your My Shows listing!

I would pay for that add-on.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    +1

I've been asking for this since the S3 units were released.

3. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Does USB have the bandwidth necessary for the bitrate of Blurays?

4. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Most external Blue-ray players are standard USB.

TiVo also has the eSATA port available - if they wanted to go in that direction.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The max data rate for BD is 54Mbps, USB 2.0 can do about 200Mbps in the real world. So there is plenty of bandwidth there.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #6 of 13
    ubstudent7

ubstudent7 New Member

Feb 4, 2014
  7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 13
    richbrew

richbrew TiVo Fan

Feb 6, 2002
    Macon, GA
    +1

They could even do like they did with the expander and just pick an off the shelf consumer model, something already easily found at Best Buy or Newegg, and just add the appropriate drivers to the TiVo. Even better would be the ability to rip the disk to the internal storage (presumably copy protected) Either way, the ability to access it via tablet/stream or from a Mini would be killer too. (Whole home BRD Player :))

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 13
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It would require more then just drivers. It would require a BD "player" app on the TiVo. BDs use Java for menus as well as a few other special things for BD-Live. It would also need to have an MVC decoder and HDMI 1.4 to support 3D, which I'm not sure the Roamio has. Although personally I'd be OK with no 3D and the rest could be done in software.

9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 13
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There is not going to be a BD player add on. Even the newer media players don't do that any more.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    it would also require Cinavia support. As well as the keys needed for BD playback.

11. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    What would be perfect is if they treated it like a remote TiVo or fileshare - simply a folder on "My Shows" set aside for the DVD. If you place a DVD in the drive, you can open that folder and the movie is ready to select. It would be really slick if it also separated the movie from all the "features" garbage.

I have often thought that this is something the community could do. Using a combination of PyTiVo, the DVD plugin, and AnyDVD. It would end up copying the movie to the TiVo vs. streaming, but would be pretty cool.

Just put together a very simple, small, headless LAN connected "computer" with a Blu-Ray drive running Linix / PyTiVo and create a virtual directory and it "should" work.

Problem is, with physical media loosing ground - would it be worth the effort...

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe there is a DVD plug-in for pyTiVo that does that.

13. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    That is what I was talking about. I haven't tried the plugin, but I didn't think it was designed to read directly from the dvd disk - maybe I am wrong...

But yes, I believe all the tools are in place - just needs a little effort to tie it all together.

I thought about giving it a try - maybe if I have a little time I will play with the DVD plugin to see how it actually works.