1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo audio in Dolby digital?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by eboydog, Apr 7, 2014.

1. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Is there any method to capture Dolby digital in transfers from the TiVo instead of two channel PCM? I assume if such would be possible it would be a advanced video processing in capturing the optical sdif and remuxing it with the video?

Am I just crazy to think such would be possible?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    ?? TTG transfers to your computer do normally give you the AC3 (dolby) audio track, which is normally 6 channel for HD recordings.

3. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    OK, I should have described better, I'm interested in taking the decrypted mpeg video stream and re encoding in a h. 264 HD video preserving more than the dual stereo channels. Does that make better sense?

I didn't know the encrypted .Tivo had the dts stream in it, so in a sense then if a Tivo file has the dolby stream in it (I just assumed it didnt) then could this be possible? Forgive my ignorance of such, I know just enough about the higher end video fundamentals to be dangerous and I'm learning as I go along.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you download .TiVo file (in PS format, not "fast transfers" which is TS format) then you can use "tivodecode" to decrypt and the result will me mpeg2 program stream container with mpeg2 video and multi-channel AC3 (dolby) audio. Then there are lots of different programs to re-encode that to H.264 video + AC3 audio from that point. However, you need to describe what your end game is for playing the re-encoded video files. Most tablets/phones can't handle H.264 video + AC3 audio, so if that's your target then you don't want to do that.

5. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Actually I thought most phones and tablets preferred h.264 and ac3 since mpeg2 costs more to license (for video anyway). Recompressing the audio to mp3 would be more compatible but I thought ac3 was pretty commonly supported and usually a little better quality, especially if you want to preserve the multichannel mix.
    In any case, once you get the video decoded there are lots of programs to recompress. I find handbrake pretty easy to use.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Very true, but I just last night found out my new HTC One (M8) can handle an mp4 file with full 1080p24 video in h.264 codec and AC3 audio. And file sizes greater than 4GB. This means this is the first Android device I have owned that can now use the exact same files I use for the TiVo and my WDTV box. Pretty cool that the hardware decode is all there now and they finally support larger files. Connecting to a flat panel via HDMI got DD pass thru as well. Try THAT on a iphone.......

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    They prefer h.264 and AAC.

8. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Thank you for pointing this out, I wasn't aware that the 6 channel was preserved when it was downloaded even with kmttg which I went back to some of my downloads and found that they had the 6 channel tracks instead of tow which I wasn't paying attention to. Now if I can move to my next project of sorts.