1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo at Digital Life 2006 and WPA

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BabySeal, Oct 20, 2006.

1. BabySeal

BabySeal New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    So I talked to some tivo repsat this year's Digital Life expo and drooled over the series 3. Also I asked them about WPA Encryption and they informed that they would start supporting WPA in the next software update. Anyone know when the next big update would be? :D

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There has been word of one in Novemer for the S3. Optomisitcally I'd say it is a general update for all S2/S3 DVRs.

3. BabySeal

BabySeal New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cool! Thanks for the info.

4. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    TiVo Support says:

5. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

sorry- been away from tivo for a few years (had directivo's)- is it typical that the next software release is for all the models? I Was under the impression that the next release would just be a "catch up" release to get the new platform equal to the rest?

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

TiVo has started scheduling quarterly updates. The new CEO has mandated the platform not get stagnant as it was about 2 years ago. So we all expect a end of year release for S2. nothing official has been said though other than the kind of things posted in this thread.

as for WPA - that will be a welcome addition for me but TiVo has had a history of struggling with LINUX wireless drivers, makes sense they would first put it out for the one adapter they completly control and can offload the work onto due to the chip design of the TiVo wireless adapter. It may well be that WPA on other adpaters would just be anotehr resource hog slowing things down. ;) Just my speculation though

7. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    interesting. Are the quarterly releases generally adding a bunch of features all the time (even if small)?

I'm used to directv sending an update every 2 years that I cant even imagine regular updates.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well, like I said it is not an officially anounced pattern. just more what has been happening this year and is related to new features designed to market TiVo more easily.

KidZone has gotten a lot pf parent type groups to start pushing TiVo to their members as a way to directly block shows they do not think should be watched. I use kidzone on the TiVo in the play room and love it. It can still record any show we get, so the kids favorite shows I approve of can be watched on the TiVo but since I only allow channels like PBS or TLC or animal planet to be freely viewed and then only if the rating is a G or the like the kids have spent a LOT less time just vegging in front of the TV. I can also block all the religious channels and keep PAt robertson and the like from scarring my kids ;) I can see why Parental groups are pushing it as an answer.

wondering what TiVo Inc.s' filings will be like this year.

Hopefully the end of year update is more about finalizing and tweaking these updates for performance. Adding in WPA would be a nice feature as well

9. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I too really like the kidzone. Cant wait till that finds it way to the s3 also.

10. jonty

jonty New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Just read a post on the Tivo support site (sorry, can't post URLs yet) that confirms WPA support with software version 8.1, for all S2, S2DT, and S3 units. Only works with the Tivo network adapter, though.