1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo as storage and playback only

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 330381, Apr 16, 2012.

1. 330381

330381 New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    I have several Tivo units on subscription. I want to use one on my home wireless as a storage and playback unit only. I do not want it to connect to Tivo, get schedule information, or record shows. Will it perform these functions wirelessly? If so, can I prevent it from connecting to Tivo, since it is on my home network?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It will eventually lose its "subscribed" status if you prevent it from calling home, and at that point it will stop doing transfers. Otherwise, sure.

Why do you want to prevent it from connecting to TiVo Inc.?

3. 330381

330381 New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    I want it to be able to transfer and store programs that have been collected from the other Tivo units. Since I do not need to record broadcast shows on that unit, I was going to save the monthly subscription. It seemed like it would not be a violation of some edict, so long as I retained it for internal use only.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    You are going to get a number of answers, but once your TiVo looses it's subscription your are going to loose MRV - the ability to move videos on and off of it.

I do not have an unsubbed box - so I cannot answer if there are any limitations to watching videos that already exist on the box...

5. 330381

330381 New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks for the information.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The lion's share of the subscription price is a license to many features (just about all of them practically) of the TiVo software, in addition to the guide data.

What you want to do is only within the scope of the licensed parts of the software, IOW, you need the sub to do what you want.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Even if you cancel the subscription after disconnecting it from the outside world and it retained it's subscription status forever, all of the other Tivos on the network would get the information that they are no longer allowed to transfer recordings to and from the now unsub'd Tivo, so you'd still be unable to do what you want to accomplish.

8. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Just hold on until the IP settop comes out this year (hopefully). It appears it may do just what you are looking for.

I have the same issue as you and I paid lifetime for a box that does nothing but a (very) little live TV and watching content from other Tivos and my media server. That box is toast when the IP box hits the street, baring something we don't know about it at this time, like an inability to borrow a tuner from one of my Tivos for live TV; after all, one does have to watch sports "live".

9. 330381

330381 New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks to all for the guidance and the explanations.