1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Apps

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Thunderclap, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    With Tivo moving to Java as it's programming source do you think Tivo could open an App Store similar to Apple? Not only would it be an additional revenue stream for Tivo, it might also bring in more users if they could customize their DVR. Adding streaming capabilities, games and more might create more interest by the everyday consumer. I would love a Hulu app and a RadioTime or Pandora app... the possibilities are endless.

What do you think?

2. flaminiom

flaminiom New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Holt, MI
    I hope so, although the app store comparison probably would be closer to Roku and Boxee than Apple.

Hulu is a Hulu problem. I'm sure if Hulu would allow it, Tivo would have them up as an on-demand video source with Netflix and Amazon.

Pandora is already slated for Premiere.

3. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    HME was always Java based. Not sure how the Premieres will be any different in that regard...

4. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    HME?

5. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
  6. Dreamin

Dreamin New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Pandora and FrameChannel have already been announced:

http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/prssrel.d...rsion=live&prid=592646&releasejsp=release_134

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    What's your basis for that?

As noted, TiVo has for years been doing a lot of their work in Java, although HME isn't limited to Java. If anything, it looks like they're moving to Flash.

BTW, FrameChannel already has an app on apps.tv (since October -- the most recent app added), but it didn't work well for me when I tried it.

8. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I thought I read in a press release that they moved to Java since it was easier to work with than C+ which they previously used.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They moved to Flash instead of C++ (or Java...not sure which) for the UI elements for faster develop-test-release cycles. HME apps were already in Java.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Java was never used on the TiVo itself. It is just the language used to create HME apps on the server. However, technically any programming language would work with HME.

11. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
  12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Hello all from the UK!

Thought it best to re-use this existing thread as it is directly relevant to my question.

Here in the UK - in Virgin Media cabled areas anyway - we're going to be getting a new Tivo-powered DVR very soon.

We've just heard about the potential for apps on the unit and I was just wondering if there had been any movement recently on this issue in the US.

In other words, have these apps started appearing yet?

Thanks all and have a nice day! (Do they still say that over there or is it a cliche now? ;))

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek: A TiVo with three HD tuners!?!

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Nevermind I am an idiot. I missed the second link....depressed now.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Apps have never gone away. But if you mean apps based on a hypothetical new Flash-based system, or involving an "app store", then no, AFAICT. (I mean, definitely no on the store; I can't really be sure on the Flash, but there's no evidence of it.)

But like I say, HME-based apps have been available for some years now. The specific apps mentioned earlier in this thread -- FrameChannel and Pandora -- became available recently.

16. hotscotch

hotscotch Hotscotch

Oct 18, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm interested in creating an app to operate my DVD changer using my TiVo Premiere XL. What language do I need to develop this in and can someone provide a link to the SDK and other docs?

-thanks all! :)

17. davidblackledge

davidblackledge Registered lÜser

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
    I hope you already have some sort of API to control the DVD changer from software 'cause your app isn't really possible if you don't.

Main resources are sourceforge for the official SDK implementation:
    http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/
    and the hme wiki for everything else:
    http://hmedev.wikidot.com/

And of course the "HME Developers Corner" here on tivocommunity.com

18. davidblackledge

davidblackledge Registered lÜser

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
  19. hotscotch

hotscotch Hotscotch

Oct 18, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Media Center was able to operate it very nicely. I'm hoping that this is some code that can be borrowed there. I'm ever optimistic. lol

20. hotscotch

hotscotch Hotscotch

Oct 18, 2005
    Los Angeles