1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo apps issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by uspsrt, Nov 18, 2012.

1. uspsrt

uspsrt New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I am using a Motorola sbg900 cable modem connected directly to a tivo premiere. In order to access netflix on the tivo I have to set the firewall on the modem to off. I have tried to use custom settings on the modem by finding the ports that need to be open in the port configuration test and making sure they are open but to no avail. The only way to not get the dreaded black screen is to have the firewall set to off. Is this unsafe if you have a software firewall enabled on your computer. I have tried to use a different (low,medium or high) setting on the modem but no setting except off will allow access to netflix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    just get a cheap wireless router instead and connect the modem to that. That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue. Also if you turn your firewall off it won't really matter since tivo will most likely not be hacked via web

3. uspsrt

uspsrt New Member

Nov 18, 2012

Ok. Would it be unsafe for a computer to access this network wirelessly. Right now I'm using the modem's wireless capability for my desktop.

4. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I think you should be okay. Your computer most likely already has a firewall too. A rotuer is just another layer of firewall.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How exactly would that solve the issue? He'd still have to disable the firewall.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I think dsnotgood meant, disable the firewall and router portions of the sbg900 and replace them with your own router (which will have a firewall). Dsnotgood meant that it would most likely be due to an incompatibility of the Tivo w/ the sbg900.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I doubt it. dsnotgood does not seem to realize that the sbg900 is a router. It simply lacks the integrated 4-port switch that most separately purchased routers or service provided modem/routers have. The sentence "That way you can use different devices to go online and it will solve your issue." shows that he does not understand what the problem is. The problem is the firewall, not the fact that the TiVo is the only equipment physically connected. If it were, simply adding a separate switch would "solve the problem". No need to buy a new wireless router.

To the OP: Check out this thread and see if it is helpful.

8. uspsrt

uspsrt New Member

Nov 18, 2012