1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Uverse

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by peter108, May 11, 2007.

1. peter108

peter108 New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I'm a Uverse subscriber in Connecticut and decided after the 2 month trial to llok more seriously into Tivo compatability with the motorola VIP 1200 boxes. I went through the setup and was happy to see the lineup available and even though there were some issues with getting the full lineup, which Tivo took care of quickly I still couldn't get the IR transmitter to change the channels on the box. I received differeing opinions from both Tivo and ATT about this and ultimately found out from both Tivo and ATT thet the boxes are encoded to not allow a 3rd party device to change the channels. Tivo gave me a bunch of remote codes to try and none of them worked. I was told that Uverse users in different parts of the country were able to get their Tivos to work with their boxes but i wasn't told if they were the same boxes as we have in CT. Do any Uverse subs. from either CT or other parts of the country have any success getting their Tivos to work with Uverse? Is it reasonable to expect that Tivo might find a way around this (if there is a way around this). I like Uverse and it's cheaper, and after a month of reall bugs with the DVR it's working fine but is NOT a Tivo. I'm holding out hope I can get it all working together!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The workaround, to my understanding, is for TiVo to add Uvers IR codes.

3. loki2357

loki2357 New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I have had many difficulties with this and to save everyone the trouble I went through with multiple calls to Tivo support, feel free to follow my instructions.

1) Tivo suggested I buy a stick on IR Blaster cable and actually gave me a month free to pay for it. The one I bought was suggeted by Tivo and is from Smarthome. Item number 8170S, "STICK-ON IR EMITTER". It was $5.99 + $9.99 shipping.

2) Under the Channel Changing settings for Tivo use advanced setup and select the following:
    Code: 10081-B
    Channel Change Digets: 2
    Enter: No

3) Remove the face plate of the AT&T VIP1200 device. It just snaps off from the right and left edges.

4) Locate what I am calling the "False IR Target". This is the black blub in the black rectangle right of the red light. This is NOT where to position your IR emitter.

5) Instead you will direct the IR emitter between the power button and the USB port where the face plate snaps onto the device. It seems just wrong, though I'm telling you this is the position that works.

6) Over these holes place the IR emitter.

7) I was unable to get this to work without taking off the face plate. Ultimately, I ended up taping on thh IR emitter so it would not move, and covered the very bright green light with tape as well. Now all is well, except for the wired look.

4. peter108

peter108 New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I've got the same IR code and it now works great. The only thing to remember is to make sure the power is on on the cable box at all times.

5. Nov 6, 2007 #5 of 55
    trooper638

trooper638 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Finally, I got information that works regarding ATT UVERSE and TIVO compatibility. Our Series one worked without incident, however, our Series 2 would not change channels! That is until I removed the faceplate on the front of the VIP1200!!!
    Thanks for the tip it seems to be working NOW!!! YEAH!!!!!

6. Nov 8, 2007 #6 of 55
    waynehazle

waynehazle Wayne A. Hazle

Jan 17, 2006
    California
    OK I am just joining UVERSE, I know I had a IR blaster cable once many moons ago. is there anything I can do to get TIVO to record without one of these?

7. Nov 8, 2007 #7 of 55
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Set timers on both the Uverse box and TiVo. Have a Series 1 that has an IR blaster in the front.

Otherwise you need the IR blasters. You don't need TiVo's, just a compatible one

8. waynehazle

Jan 17, 2006
    California
    I called TIVO and they gave me a zip code to use for UVERSE & it worked. I now have uverse channels in TIVO.

I set up the IR Blaster with the code from this thread and it works like a charm!

The final thing is for my TIVO netgear adapter to see the UVERSE wireless network in my home.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Is the channel lineup for your Uverse correct? I set up my Series 1 at my parent's house since they got Uverse. It looked like things were working but the channel lineup was slightly wrong. Specifically they didn't see Big 10 Network in the lineup at all, several channels were on wrong channel numbers. I submitted a lineup change about 2 weeks ago for my dad but TiVo never responded and nothing has been updated. I hoped they'd at least send him a progress report.

After all the hassle of getting the TiVo to even work with Uverse, we are so close to having it 100% except for the bad guide data. Both my parent's Series 2 machines I couldn't get the Uverse box to change channels, so I brought my Series 1 to their house and it worked on the first try.

10. waynehazle

Jan 17, 2006
    California
    I could have sworn the channel was changing, but I tried again last night and realized the channel does not is not changing. My guide information is great.

And like I said, the big problem is still that my TIVO does not see the wireless network from UVERSE

11. lonestarjacket

lonestarjacket New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    I am still having problems with the code, but I haven't been able to remove the faceplate. It seems to be loose at the top but is secure at the bottom and on the sides. I don't want to snap anything. Does anyone who has done this have advice on how to safely remove the faceplate? Are we talking about the entire front panel or only the dark plastic covering the lights?

TiVo is sending a new IR cable on the assumption that my old one isn't strong enough. But it worked okay with the old Comcast box a couple of days ago. Maybe the cover on the Uverse box is just too dark?

12. waynehazle

Jan 17, 2006
    California
    I am afraid of removing that faceplate. Perhaps the IR blaster that came with TIVO is not strong enough? Is there a better one I can buy at frye's or best buy that might do the trick?

13. Chuli

Chuli New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    California
    I have Tivo Series 2. I just got Uverse. I am having problems changing the channels. I would like to know where I can get the IR Blaster?:(

14. mrieves

mrieves New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    I would NOT switch to Uverse (if you love your Tivo Series IIs and don't like major headaches!!)

Time Warner cable finally made me mad enough to switch to Uverse. I love Uverse's TV picture quality (both HD and and regular digital) and the new wireless router they provide is good too. I'll also save about $35/month and I have about twice the number of HD channels.

The problem has come down to getting my two Tivo Series 2 working with the regular digital boxes from AT&T, the Motorola VIP1200. I've done almost everything recommended in this forum -- changing the IR codes, removing the faceplate, etc., but I still cannot get the channel to change. I just ordered two new Smarthome "STICK-ON IR EMITTER" (Item number 8170S) as my last hope.

Now that I've devoted almost 2 days to Uverse (6 hours for the service install from AT&T, 3 hours configuring my laptops and wireless printer with the new Internet access point, and at least 4-6 hours with my Tivos and online problem research), I'm not sure what I'll do if the new Smarthome "STICK-ON IR EMITTERs" do not work. I'll have to make the "Uverse or Tivo" decision...

The sad, sad, sad part of this is that I'm reading posts from almost a year ago and Tivo has not figured out a solution. Even if the solutions in this post do work eventually, WHAT A HACK JOB!

This I know: I would NOT switch to Uverse and do this again!!

15. trony

trony New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    This worked for me if anyone wants to try it. I have a VIP1200 set-top-box with a Tivo Series 2 DVR.

- Here are the settings for the IR code under advanced settings on the Tivo box.
    Code: 10081-B
    Channel Change Digets: 2
    Enter: Yes

- Place only a SINGLE IR transmitter between the USB port and the link light. The standard IR cable come with 2 transmitters. I am presuming using both transmitters sends duplicate commands, hence wrong channel changes.

That's it. Good Luck.

16. lonestarjacket

lonestarjacket New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    I have had a similar experience. The problem is with TiVo engineering. First, they took too long to start working on the problem. Rather than tackle the problem, they tried to "wait and see" whether many people actually would go to Uverse. (That tells me that TiVo Product Management or R&D is simply not keeping up with the market. It is stupid to get caught by surprise when both AT&T and Verizon were clearly entering this market with purpose.)

When they got enough complaints, they started trying to address the problem. But whatever they are doing is insufficient. If other products had trouble controlling the Motorola box, then they could lay the blame on Motorola or AT&T. Since they can solve the problem and TiVo can't, they must employ someone who can understand the problem better than TiVo engineering.

TiVo,
    Hire some consultants and address this problem before you lose more customers.

17. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Wow. This issue is just crazy. Here's my story.

I got hooked up on Friday and started messing around with getting TiVo to cooperate with the U-Verse boxes yesterday afternoon. I tried everything. I put the IR blaster right over the IR receiver, I tried it between the USB & the Link light, I tried it between the power button and the USB port. I tried it at all of these places at varying distances from the box, but to no avail. I tried using one blaster, I tried using both blasters in various positions. I was getting exactly zero response from almost all of these positions. If it wasn't for a partial channel change every once in a while I would have wondered if the blasters themselves were bad or I had them plugged into the TiVo incorrectly.

I then read up on here and also over at the uverseusers forums and took the faceplate off. It's just the narrow plastic piece across the middle of the front, NOT the entire front of the box. That didn't help at all either.

I then tried some other experiments. I found that you can cover the entire IR receiver hole and the U-Verse remote still works. You can cover the entire box with a flannel shirt and the U-Verse remote still works.

So I started holding the IR blaster in different places on the sides of the box and above the box and I found a place where it works! You'll never believe where it works for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm holding the IR blaster almost 3 inches above the box, with the emitter positioned at about the left edge of the first row of vent slots left/right, and about at the beginning of the middle vent slots in a front/back direction, while also holding the blaster at a 45 degree angle. I can also get good results by mirroring this position on the right side of the box. It appears to be VERY picky about this position. If I stray a little from this spot it stops responding consistently, and if I stray too much it stop responding completely. I also am using only one blaster. The other one is covered up.

There's no logical reason to me why this particular spot (and it's mirror cousin on the other side of the box) should work when everywhere else doesn't. Does this make any sense to anyone else?

18. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Well translating that particular spot from me holding the blaster into something that works inside the TV cabinet has proven to be more difficult. I think there's a lot of reflection of the signal going on as it seems to work better with the doors open instead of closed.

I might try putting the box on top of the cabinet, but then I need to MacGyver something to hold the blaster up in that position. This is quite frustrating to say the least. I don't know why those other positions people have mentions have not worked for me. Maybe I should try it with one of my other Uverse boxes and see if it behaves any differently.

Any suggestions?

19. obryankl

obryankl New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Ohio

Are you using the IR cable from TiVo? I got U-Verse about 2 months ago and spent forever fighting with the IR cables to work with VIP 1200 box. I was very upset when I couldn't use my TiVo anymore.

Also...do I leave the faceplate off of the cable box?

20. obryankl

obryankl New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Okay...it kind of works. Sometimes it enters the right channel and sometimes it only types like the first 2 numbers or the last 2 numbers (of the 3 digit channel). What gives?