1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo and the Wii U

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by exegesis48, Mar 25, 2013.

1. exegesis48

exegesis48 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I bought the Wii U on release day, due to their advertised integration with TiVo. Since then there has been little word from Nintendo or TiVo in regards to when this will be implemented. In fact, even setting up Nintendo TVii to work with TiVo is a pain, as you have to trick the system and tell it you're using a TiVo Satellite Box just to get it to change the channel.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about TiVo + Wii U?

2. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    No new info in awhile. TiVo integration is due in "early 2013".

3. ask

ask Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Balto MD
    "Nintendo's Wii U was supposed to get TVii when the console launched back in late November. That did not happen. Then, when it did launch in late December, two key features were missing: TiVo and Netflix. Despite insistence that the former would arrive in January 2013, Nintendo tells us that both are delayed beyond January to an unknown point in "early 2013." The company specifically notes that said integration is planned for the United States."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/google-maps-tivo-wii-u-delayed-again/

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I also bought on launch day with the expectation that Tivo integration would be included. This will be my last Nintendo system.

5. ask

ask Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Balto MD
    From Nintendo's website, the promise of a significant (but undefined) upgrade:

*The previously announced system update, which adds new features and further improvements to the user experience, will be released in April."

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_update.jsp

6. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Wii U is better than Wii.

[media]http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/wiiuvswii.jpg[/media]

7. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    TiVo integration? Sounds weird. I'm just waiting for Mario Kart and Mario Party to pull the trigger.

8. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Tvii is a great concept. And perhaps it could be great if Nintendo really put some effort into it. But it is more of a "marketing feature" than a practical one. Don't expect much.

9. ask

ask Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Balto MD
  10. Impulse0022

Impulse0022 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Well that is a disappointment even though it would probably be a novelty feature.

-Matt

11. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    http://www.geek.com/games/wheres-the-tivo-integration-for-the-wii-u-1550662/

[Update] Nintendo of America has responded to this post with an official statement. “We’re working hard with TiVo to integrate their services into Nintendo TVii. At this point, the integration work is still in progress. We do not yet have a launch date, but we will be sure to keep everyone posted.”

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What a load of crap.

13. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
  14. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Lol at the people actually expecting Nintendo to release a finished product on time . They are the king of delays / false promises....even better than tivo which is shocking since tivo is pretty crap. Exactly why after GameCube I refuse to give ninty any more money with the crap they constantly pull. I took them this generation to actually have online games and HD! This year! 2013! Pathetic. And you guys thought they would have tivo integration at launch? Pass me whatever you guys are smoking!

15. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009
    is it safe to assume this is no longer happening?

16. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
  17. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, Nintendo does a pretty amazing job of being behind the times. When I bought my Wii I was sure that they would have an optical audio output for true (lossy) Dolby Digital 5.1. Imagine my surprise when I found out that you still needed five RCA cables to get 480p widescreen component video and two channel analog audio. The Dolby Digital Pro Logic II sounded pretty good on Metroid Prime 3 and a few of the other games, but it really floored me that their online features and audio were so far behind what Microsoft had achieved with the original Xbox in 2001.

Fast forward to today and I'm still amazed that Nintendo doesn't get modern surround sound. I understand the licensing fees associated with making the Wii U a Blu-ray player or licensing modern audio codecs from Dolby or DTS. Nevertheless, I can't believe that New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't have a 5.1 soundtrack. WFT Nintendo?!

DSnotgood, you missed out on a few really great games by not having a Wii last generation. The system might have been a barren wasteland of shovelware as far as third party support went, but there were a couple great Zelda games, two wonderful Super Mario Galaxy titles, and excellent all-in-one purchase of Metroid Prime Trilogy, and a few other worthy first party titles as well. You probably could pick up the A+ games from the Wii era along with a little-used Wii U for perhaps $400 to $500. That's a lot of great gaming, even if it isn't in HD like the latest iteration of Madden or CoD. I'm a huge graphics and audio quality snob, but at some point gameplay trumps eye candy. The level design on a fuzzy, smeary, impressionistic Zelda game like Skyward Sword is a real pleasure, even if things look jaggy as hell when you pause the game.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Nintendo should really be ashamed of themselves. It's been out a full year and there is still no Tivo integration.

19. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
  20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    I am getting my son a Wii U, AKA Woo for Christmas. Should I bother to run my Roamio through it?