1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo and Nintendo's Wii U

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Sep 13, 2012.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Apparently the new Wii U is going to have some built in support for TiVo.

The press conference is going on live now, but I wonder if this means we will be able to use it as an extender.

http://live.theverge.com/nintendo-wii-u-live-blog/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57512103-235/nintendo-turns-on-tvii-for-wii-u/

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nintendo-unveils-nintendo-tvii-for-wii-u

interesting. engadget has pics of some kind of tivo integration.

3. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Is it the DVR built in or does it work like an extender? It looks more like it might just support streaming from a Premiere rather than including it.

From one of the comments on engadget it sounds like an extender model where the Wii U schedules the recording.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This is certainly different from how Tivo normally does things. Shouldn't Tivo have made an announcement about this like three years ago?

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think this is a Stream endpoint. Very cool!

6. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Use your WiiU tablet controller to find stuff to watch on your DVR. Set recordings from your DVR.

Wonder if it is streaming to Wii U. If so awesome. I do know the WiiU controller has IR so it can turn on the tv. So maybe it will just switch tv inputs and act as a remote for the Tivo directly.

A bit strange though is that Nintendo's TVii initiative does what Tivo said they wanted to do. Be a one-stop shop content aggregator. You search through Amazon, Netflix and Tivo.

Nintendo has some interesting additions though. Profiles for instance. The stuff you want to watch is stored under your Mii.

So if your kid wants cartoons he sees cartoons under his Mii. IF you like to watch Madmen you'll see Madmen.

And the second screen lets you mess around without affecting what is on the TV. SEe other scores. Look up actors etc. Type in stuff. ...

Definitely overlap with Tivo and iPads and iPHones here, but interesting.

If it turns out to be an extender for Tivo I think that is a big breakthrough for Tivo and Nintendo although have to remind myself that Tivo's install base is fairly small.

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    This picture makes it look like it will stream from the Premiere. My guess is that the Wii U can somehow stream from the Premiere and then send the video to it's controller.

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm willing to bet money that it requires a TiVo Stream.

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It probably will, but then if it supports Mpeg2 it wouldn't need it. Though even with a Stream it would allow you to have an extender albeit an expensive one if you don't use the Wii U for anything else.

Hopefully if we ever see the SDK things like this will open up to other platforms.

10. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
  11. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Has anyone actually seen them streaming video from the Tivo to this? My bet is the video will just pop up on the TV. Similar to using your iPad as a remote.

12. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I don't see why it would. The Wii U can already stream video to it's controller, so it must have it's own transcoding capabilities (be it to H.264 or whatever the controller supports). The only thing the Wii U would need to be able to do is decode MPEG-2 video, which even the Wii could do.

The only thing special about TiVo streaming video is the encryption. If Nintendo licenses the decryption algorithm from TiVo, then Nintendo can in effect build in TiVo mini functionality into the Wii U.

The Wii U specs indicate it is certainly powerful enough to do all this.

13. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Say it ain't so.

14. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Plus who wants to stream video to the controller as much as wants to use the WiiU as an extender? My kid already watches his cartoons on his iPad.

But knowing Nintendo and Tivo and marketing I now expect the worst. Won't act as an extender. Will require Tivo STream to stream to controller. And some other catches as well. It can only get better from there.

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    One point of the controller is so you can play the Wii U games on the controller while someone watches something else on the TV guessing not via the Wii U.

From the various blogs, it sounds like you can either watch on the TV or on the controller. When watching on the TV you will be able to use the Wii U controller to act like the TiVo iPad app.

16. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-memory-tivo-dvr/

Doesn't sound like a Stream will be required.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    WoW!! This is the first I've heard of this. I wonder if there will be similar features with other devices soon?

18. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Boy, I'm certainly in the target market for this. I was thinking of getting a 4 tuner premiere and the mini once available (selling my HD and 2TB premiere), happy to skip moving to the U anytime soon.

But, wow, this could be great. Can't wait to see how this plays out.