1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Dish/DirecTV - Possible

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by twhiting9275, Jan 27, 2013.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    So, I'm tired of overpaying my cable company (mediacom) and wasting my time with these guys. Is it REMOTELY possible for me to get my premiere & premiere 4 working with either of these? It's time for a change. If not, well, then I'll stick it out till my contracts expire, but hopefully it is possible to do, somehow?

2. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Premiere is Cable/OTA only. Premiere 4/XL4 is Cable only.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    So, that's a no.
    Ok, I kind of figured that's what the answer would end up being, was hoping it wouldn't though.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are serious about getting a Tivo to work with DirecTV/Dish, you would need to find a Series 2. They aren't being sold any more, but you can try Ebay or CraigsList.

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    And wouldn't be HD

6. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Active Member

May 15, 2002
    DirecTV offers the THR22-100, which is running Tivo software. It's HD. It's an extra charge each month to lease it, and it doesn't do anything fancy (no MRV, for example) but it works better than the regular DirecTV DVR.

7. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think you'd find that DirecTV would come out about as much as your cable bill for equivalent programing. Dish might be a bit cheaper, but the only way you will truly save money is to install an antenna and go OTA only and supplement with Hulu Plus or Netflix Streaming.

8. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    Correct, which is why it's not even an option. I HAVE a series 2 box, but it's not even a viable option in today's world ;)

I wouldn't pay DirecTV, or anyone else, honestly for something I have already purchased and own myself.

I don't care about cost (I typically pay my cable co around $150, $200 a month). Unfortunately not everything is on Hulu or Netflix, and there are channels that just never will be . HBO will never put their content there, FX will only put a bit of it there, AMC, almost any advanced cable network isn't going to put their shows there, because they would kill their subscription model.

I guess I should reclarify my first post ;).
    By overpaying the cable company, I take into account the amount of time that I have to actually spend on the phone with them. I typically have to call numerous times just to get them to give me a damn ppv, and fight through the swarms of "we can't do that because you don't have a box" responses. Doing so Sunday cost me around 3 hours of time (which, for someone in my profession isn't cheap by any means ;)). I'm just sick and tired of the monopoly.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It sounds like you should just rent an HD box(non DVR) for something like $10 a month. That would make ordering PPV easy. It would certainly be better than spending 3 hours of time each time you want to watch a PPV event.

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I got tired of paying crazy prices for cable, so I looked up what Uverse cost and then called my cable company with that information. I said "hey I can get Uverse for $xx a month and you charge me $xx a month. Why shouldn't I switch?" Ten minutes later they got back on the line and offered me $25 off and free HBO. Save me about $40 a month and the price change is permanent.

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They don't want to lose a good consumer as yourself.