1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GeezLouise2, Jul 22, 2014.

1. GeezLouise2

GeezLouise2 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    My daughter just moved and set up her Comcast installation and was told they no longer support cable cards for Tivo because they have their own DVR. Don't they HAVE to support them?

They presented the promotional rates to her if she canceled her previous account and opened a new account. If she just transferred her account, they wouldn't give her the promotional rate, but they said she'd be grandfathered with her current cable card.

Does this sound right? Just curious if anyone here knew anything about that.

Thanks!

2. GeezLouise2

GeezLouise2 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Oh, and they are charging her $30/mo for their DVR!

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The Comcast rep is either incompetent or just lied to her. You are correct that Comcast has to give her a CableCard under FCC regulations. Tell her to call back and talk to someone else. If they give her the same answer, ask to speak to a manager.

4. GeezLouise2

GeezLouise2 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
  5. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah that's in the distant future, probably years away. Right now CableCard is still the standard and Comcast has to give her one.

6. Fielding

Fielding New Member

May 28, 2010
    I'm with Comcast and they support my cable card. Methinks the Comcast CSR was poorly trained..

7. GeezLouise2

GeezLouise2 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    My daughter had a card, too, but they said going forward they no longer give them out so if she were to cancel and start a new account, she could not get a card for her tivo. I may call or chat and see what the story is.

8. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Well that just sounds like lying to me. Tell them you are going to file a complaint with the FCC and I bet their story will change real quick.

9. GeezLouise2

GeezLouise2 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
  10. heyted

heyted New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida
    Yes

FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C):
    http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

11. pattont

pattont New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Tennessee
    I just moved less than a month ago and went from Charter to Comcast. I went by one of the offices and picked up two cable cards no problem (brand new Motorolas). This is in Knoxville, TN.