1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Comcast.. Yeah again..sorry

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timbot, Jan 20, 2013.

1. timbot

timbot New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    So I did a little digging and didn't find much so I'm sure everyone here is tired of Comcast and Tivo questions. But I could really use some help cus I'm kinda confused. Maybe someone can explain something for me.

SO my setup is, Comcast Internet Only.. No TV Package. Yeah yeah I know.. give me a second. And a Tivo Premiere.

So anyways, if i plug my cable line into my TV, just my tv. I get all kinds of local channels and HD channels. But then if I plug the same cable line into my Tivo.. Nada, I get nothing. So I was reading about this mapping junk. How can this be? I don't understand how my TV can find channels just fine. But the Tivo plays dumb? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Any advice would be great. The other option I have is to get an Antenna, but I only get Washington DC channels, and I'd rather get Baltimore Channels, which is what Comcast gives me on my TV.. Ugh

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Have you done a channel scan? It will find clear QAM (digital) channels (looking at a Baltimore zip code(21201) on zap2it, it looks like they are all digital). Unfortunately, you can't get TiVo guide data for those. If your package actually includes limited basic, you should be entitled to a free CableCARD. If it doesn't, you'll just have to live with it. You could do guided setup for your local OTA channels. That would at least let you know what is available on the clear QAM locals. You can create manual recordings but of course their will not be any idenitifying data for them except time and channel.

You should be aware that Comcast received a waiver that allows them to begin encrypting all channels, even locals. If and when they implement that in uyour area, there will be no more clear QAM channels and even your TV will no longer be able to see anything on the cable.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Your premiere will not be able to use its features with comcast digital service without a cablecard. I am guessing that you really know the answer to that already. Is comcast aware you are looking to use their service for cable? I imagine they would be happy to get a new cable customer.

4. timbot

timbot New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks. I kinda figured that already..

I actually just dropped cable tv.. just for cable internet.. but i figured if i could get some channels straight off there line for free.. then i'd just use that.. but i guess not.. oh well

Thanks for the help