1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo and Cablevision IO on Demand

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by James2k, Jan 25, 2009.

1. James2k

James2k New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi Everyone:

I'm currently a Cablevision customer, and despite all of the previous threads I haven't been able to figure out the answer to the following question.

With the newer Tivo HD models that support cablecards, will I be able to browse the On Demand Chanels that IO has? I understand that I can record items with Tivo to effectively make things "On Demand" but I would really like to use some of the On Demand stations. Is that possible when swapping out my cable box for a Tivo?

Thanks!

2. mack1951

mack1951 New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    No. Cablecards are a one way device. To do any on demand or SDV you need two way communication. If Cablevision ever gets off the dime and makes the USB adapters available it wil solve the SDV problem but not the on demand or pay per view.

3. bluelinex

bluelinex Member

Nov 4, 2007
    No. You will have to split the in comming signal & pay for a cable box. I have a TIVO & a Time Warner DVR on my main TV it comes to about an extra 15.95 a month. For just a regular cable box it's about 7.95 but with the extra DVR a have 4 tuners & it's also a back up for the TIVO. It's up to you.

4. James2k

James2k New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Too bad...In some ways this is a bit of a dealbreaker, because I like to watch on Demand stations and occasionally order PPVs. The way I was trying to justify a Tivo was because of the savings I would get from not having to rent a cable box or pay the extra $10\month DVR fee.

Unfortunately, without the ability to ditch the On Demand cable box (which is very slow and unresponsive at times), I'm not sure if the Tivo makes sense, even with the ability to watch Netflix...

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You can also rent from Amazon, and they have about 3x the titles that Netflix has.

6. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    I don't know how it is with IO cable, but many systems will give you one 'free' box with a cablecard rental just so they can get the revenue for PPV. Not a DVR mind you, but that slow, cheap box you complained about. :)

So you could have the best of both worlds. It's worth at least a phone call.