1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo 1 with ota converter box via serial?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dg1972, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dg1972

dg1972 New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I know there was some discussion about using a Tivax's serial port, but beyond that, has there been any updates?

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have never heard of using the serial port, but you use the IR port and connect it to a DTV Pal digital converter box. I have used it that way.

3. dg1972

dg1972 New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I am looking to avoid IR at all costs.

4. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    one of the first directv hd receivers like the Hughes HTL-HD can function as an ota converter box without the need for a directv subscription. As an added bonus, this was one of the last directv boxes that a series one TIVO could control with the serial connection. It may be difficult to find these days, but they used to be easily available on Ebay. The LG LSS-3200A and the Sony HD300 are basically the same hardware and can be controlled via serial connection.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You'll probably just have to do trial and error to see if you can get a satellite box setting to work with the Tivax. On the Tivax box I have the serial port was the wrong gender for the tivo serial cable. I think you will need a gender changer.

For the S2 I never tried the satellite settings with the Tivax and the OTA settings don't support a serial connection. Even if I could get it to work with Satellite, I wouldn't be able to tune the sub-channels. The Tivax seems to work fine with an IR blaster.

6. dg1972

dg1972 New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Hey, I appreciate the answers. However, I'm trying to figure out how the discussion got steered towards DirecTV. Oh, now I see. Use the old DirecTV box as just an OTA digital converter. Wow. I have a series 1 Tivo, and want to control an OTA digital converter box. Or find some sort of go-between.
    I have a Hauppauge PC card that can receive ATSC, and be tuned via a small program. If I have to go that far, I'll have to find someone to write a program to capture serial commands and move that over the tuning program.
    I know this seems a bit extreme, but I got the Tivo before the digital transition for my mother who only understands how to program a vcr. Even a direct cable connection between Tivo's IR out and Comcast's IR in failed so badly it wasn't worth it. And Comcast shut off all their serial to force Tivo users out.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    My Tivax box works fine with an IR cable. Try a new IR cable to see if there is a problem with your existing cable. You're still not going to be able to tune the sub-channels, even if you get it to work with an IR cable.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it new enough that it did ATSC OTA (digital) rather than NTSC OTA (the now defunct analog)?

9. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001