1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo “Program Shortcuts” Patent Details Social DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Apr 17, 2014.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    The only social media app I'd find useful is a way for other TiVo owners watching the same broadcast channels to tell everyone that the ball game went overtime and everyone's TiVo needs to add 15 minutes. That could be very useful for the folks watching live to be able to help out the poor fools who think they are recording something only to discover later that they really aren't.

Then there is also the possibility for folks to share the timestamps measured from the beginning of the recording for the commercials they skipped over :).

3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Lets hope that the Netflix app can add Shortcuts to mirror your Queue. I'd love it if shows I wanted to watch on Netflix just showed up in My Shows and I could easily watch it without first needing to launch a Netflix app.

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Completely agree. Its a use-case I've wanted for a long time.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Then they just need to take it a step further and have Netflix download those shows in the background so you always have a couple episodes to watch at full HD without having to stream.

6. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Very unlikely... their content rights agreements probably don't allow off-line viewing/downloading.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Well then maybe the Amazon app since they can do it on the Fire assuming we ever get the Amazon app.

I gave up on Netflix streaming since on FiOS it was usually SD.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Does the patent say how it should be half-implemented, late, and eventually abandoned before completion? TiVo should patent that process.

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Considering the original patent was in 2009 I'm guessing that TiVo has had plenty of time to get this half right! :cool:

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Netflix's original content is far superior to anything I've seen, to date, from Amazon. I'm sure that equation may shift over time but for now, Netflix is the primary OTT service for me and my family. On BHN, Netflix streaming in Super HD is excellent.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    LMAO! Although I think Ceton Corp already owns that patent! :p

12. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I thought Alpha House was very good.

13. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Oh, good.

Another feature to add to the incomplete TiVo projects list.