1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner/Tivo App

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wally87, Aug 18, 2012.

1. wally87

wally87 New Member

Aug 3, 2001
    My older son has Directv. Today we installed an app (and some hardware) that allows him to watch tv from his dvr anywhere. I'm using my Tivo with Time Warner. Is there anything in the works that will give me this capability?

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Time Warner has an app that will allow you to watch Live TV on your iPhone (probably iPad as well but I don't own one) within your home for free.

TiVo is working on a device to allow you to watch TiVo recordings within your home. Should be out this fall.

In order to watch everywhere (ie outside the home), you would probably need to buy a Vulkano or Sling device. The same device that TiVo is releasing this fall may eventually support outside the home viewing, but I think its just going to be available on your home network for the foreseeable future.

3. falken98

falken98 New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Which means with a little technical skill you could view it from anywhere. :)

4. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    In terms of the TWC App, didn't they update the app to lock down the backdoors that allowed tech-savvy users to watch live TV away from their home network?

5. Rez

Rez Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Yes, they attempted to prevent location shifting. In the process they totally broke the app if you attempt to use a local proxy. Instead of having the app check if the configured proxy and the app are on the same network they prevent a connection of any proxy is in use.