1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner & CCI protection byte

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jbaum, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jbaum

jbaum New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    I found in the last 48 hours Time Warner in NYC has set CCI protection byte for broadcast channels(CBS, NBC, ABC).

So, I've lost the ability to download shows to my ipad, which I use traveling.

Any suggestions?

Clearly calling Time Warner's customer service number is getting me nowhere.

2. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    Are they allowed to do that? I think by law any channels you could get OTA had to be unprotected?

(Of course I could be making that up... )

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    That is a violation of FCC regulations, if you complain to the FCC they will fix it.

4. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
  5. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    Encryption != CCI

6. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    TW probably took it too far, like they do everything. encrypting everything for years and blaming the content holders. This allows them to encrypt and in their minds, also disable transfers.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Most cable providers have been encrypting most channels for a long time. Encryption and copy protection have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

8. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    i understand that, i am just speculating.

Most cable companies encrypt most channels? where is the proof of that? out of the top 5, TW is the only one that flags most channels. verizon, cablevision, comcast, cox (not to sure about them) do not encrypt every single channel like TW does.

again, i know the difference, so i was just speculating because TW is the ONLY MAJOR provider that has been discussed on this board that encrypts EVERYTHING. My speculation is that since they encrypt EVERYTHING, they took it too far in the NY market.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You say you understand the difference between encryption and copy protection and yet by this statement you show that you don't. A channel can be copy protected w/o being encrypted and encrypted w/o being copy protected. I assure you that Comcast has for years encrypted almost every channel and has received a waiver to encrypt every channel, including locals, using a ridiculous claim of widespread "theft of service" as justification. In reality (at least IMHO), they just want to be able to charge for every piece of equipment attached to the cable. They have not implemented that yet, at least not here, so the locals are still "Clear QAM", but when they do, no more connecting your digital TV directly to the cable.

10. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    that was my mistake, im all over the place today. ill try to clarify my mere speculation: TW probably went overboard and encrypted and flagged the OTA channels after they took them out of the clear due to the cablevision precedent. Since they already flagged every channel except OTA, they went ahead with their over reaching.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You may be right, but I suspect it's more likely due to laziness/incompetence. Whatever encryption process they employ probably also sets the CCI to "Copy Once".

This could possibly result in a good thing for TWC customers with TiVos. If they are forced to separate the two, they may cease setting the CCI for everything and only do it for channels where the content provider has requested it. Unfortunately, the more likely scenario is that they will obfuscate and delay, even if you assume that the FCC takes action at all.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Encryption is why you have to use a cable card, and they can do that, both technically and legally, to everything they send down the line non-analog.

Setting the anti-copy bit can be done on a digital signal, encrypted or not, but they aren't supposed to be allowed to do it to the broadcast channels they retransmit, so sic the FCC on them.

For channels like TNT, USA, etc., you're out of luck.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Actually, they need to an FCC waiver to encrypt locals.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the FCC changed the rules so that if all the channels are digital, and there is no analog simulcasting going on, then they're allowed to encrypt everything without a waiver.

15. jbaum

jbaum New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    After calls with Time Warner, getting nowhere, I filed a compliant with the FCC.

16. craigf

craigf New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    TWC here in LA put copy never setting on a subscription channel which wouldn't allow a recording. I called them to no avail. They blamed the programmer. I ended up calling the programmer directly and told them that I had been a long time subscriber and was canceling because of "their" new policy. Obviously, this had been a lie. They ended up calling TWC and got the CCI bit adjusted.

17. jbaum

jbaum New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Interesting, Time Warner told me that it was the networks. I gave up at the point as I knew that wasn't true. Do you think I can complain to the network or the local affiliate?

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    FCC.

19. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I've been saying this for years. I was finally able to get FiOS last year and couldn't order it fast enough to get away from TWCNYC. At the time I was using two TiVo HDs, and I couldn't even use "Multi-Room Viewing" for the local channels because they had everything locked down. Yes, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, even PBS.

Everyone always says "they can't do that!". Well, they did, they continue to do so, and there is nothing that anyone is going to do about it because they are one of the most atrocious companies I have ever had to deal with.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Maybe it was just my borough that had everything locked down for so long, so I'm surprised to hear that you were just subjected to this recently.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Might not do any good with the government being shutdown.
    No one will be there to respond.