1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Cable Tuning Adapter (ALL LOCATIONS) / Bugs & Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dolfer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1 of 1485
    dolfer

dolfer Myles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Please list any issues you are having here. If this is not helpful or there is a thread that I did not notice, ignore this! ;)

I am going to assume that we all have the same unit? The Cisco STA 1520?

2. Feb 26, 2009 #2 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Issue 1 / Stutter When Accessing Guide/Changing Channels

When accessing the guide I notice a brief stutter after a second or two when changing channels.

Time Warner Location: Cincinnati

3. Feb 26, 2009 #3 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Issue 2 / Tuning Adapter Detected Screen Keeps Coming Up

Instead of seeing live TV or Tivo Central, I have now twice seen a message from my Tivo saying that Tivo has detected a Tuning Adapter. This is of course after I have already successfully installed adapter. I am assuming we should only see this message once.

Time Warner Location: Cincinnati

{UPDATE} This is a MAJOR ISSUE because besides ruining a recording, it can also pop up while you are watching a prerecorded show. This happened to me. It's massively annoying! Besides interrupting your show, you will need to obviously restart it, and even worse Tivo forgets where you were. So you have to FF to that point all over again. And apparently a single "reboot event" causes two such interruptions. {Update}

4. Feb 26, 2009 #4 of 1485
    dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I have 2 Tivo HD units with cablecards and a TA. One unit is fine but with the second unit every once in a while I get a "channel is temperarily unavaliable please press select to try to tune the channel again". If you mess with the menus in Tivo Central for awhile the channel comes back. If happens on The Fox Business Channel witch is a SDV in our area. Called Tivo support but they were unable to find a fix.

I only get the tuning adapter is dected screen upon a hard reboot.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #5 of 1485
    jpd31

jpd31 New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Winston-Sale...
    I have a Tivo HD with a TA and I get 1 - 2 second pixellation or video pauses only on the SDV channels. Non-SDV HD and SD channels, I have no problems. I replaced all cables in the house yesterday. No splitters except for a 4-way splitter at the cable entrance to the house. I get 100 signal on the Tivo HD Diagnostic, with 37 db. I even did the signal test on the Tivo HD and watched a SDV channel. It pixellated one time and the signal remained at 100. I think it is a TA issue. I have a TWC cable box and watch the same channel in another room, no issues, and signal is at 37 db on that box. The only cable I have not replaced is the one from the TA to the Tivo. I might replace that tonight.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #6 of 1485
    Xunaka

Xunaka New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I'd be interested to hear about any issues still happening with

Either the TiVo or the Cisco STA1520 Rebooting on a regular basis

Issues with SDV channels missing upon any lineup additions

Or any other general issues

If anyone has any issues, or specific information regarding them

7. Feb 26, 2009 #7 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I see this one on both my TiVo's with TA's. The source is the TA rebooting. The second page of the TA Diags (go to TA diags and hit select twice) (at the bottom of that page) will show you when the TA last rebooted. You will find that it corrosponds closely to when you see the TA Detected screen. I caught it redhanded once... watching a playback which was interrupted. TA light goes to constant flash... then goes solid on and another TA Detected screen occurs (if you cleared the first one). I found that this issue repeated regularly every 3 days +/- 1 hour. That shifted right after I got the second TA (they touched my account?) and is now at a different time and occuring every 2 days.

The bad thing about this issue is that if you have recordings in progress when it occurs... they are stopped and not restarted and reguardless of their source (OTA, SDV, Linear).

I see this as both a TA issue and a TiVo issue... The TA shouldnt be rebooting every 2 to 3 days... and TiVo shouldnt be overreacting and killing recordings... at least not recordings from non-SDV and OTA channels.

Other than this issue... My TA's are working great!

8. Feb 26, 2009 #8 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    {UPDATE} This is a MAJOR ISSUE because besides ruining a recording, it can also pop up while you are watching a prerecorded show. This happened to me. It's massively annoying! Besides interrupting your show, you will need to obviously restart it, and even worse Tivo forgets where you were. So you have to FF to that point all over again. And apparently a single "reboot event" causes two such interruptions. {Update}

This seems like a MAJOR ISSUE to me... I guess I wasn't affected yet because the reboots happened when I wasn't recording anything...

I guess we always have the option of disconnecting the TA until they have the kinks ironed out. The channels that I lose to SDV and that I gain by using the TA are not worth the hassle right now if I start losing recordings.

Hopefully this will get fixed quickly! A bit worried though since it seems to be a two party problem with both TW and Tivo...

9. Feb 26, 2009 #9 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Well... from my viewpoint its not major... Ive only lost recordings once... But I understand your perspective may not be the same as mine. I couldnt give up the SDV channels though.... Im hooked! :D

10. Feb 26, 2009 #10 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I should probably also mention this too..... I can't say absolutely that it is due to the TA but the evidence does seem to be pointing to it.

When I installed TA on my S3... Suggestions stopped recording. About 2 weeks later I got a TA for my wife's THD... shortly thereafter she complained that her TiVo wasnt recording suggestions anymore. Ive had 2 suggestions record in about 2 weeks. Same for her.

Anybody else seeing this? There is another thread on this subject where it seems that all the people exhibiting it had TA's....

11. Feb 26, 2009 #11 of 1485
    jpd31

jpd31 New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Winston-Sale...
    I can't say if my TA is rebooting, but I have noticed that the TA is very warm. I wonder if the TA has a overheating issue that is causing the reboot?

12. Feb 26, 2009 #12 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Its too 'regular' to be something like that IMHO. My two boxes in two different rooms rebooted within 30 mins of each other yesterday.

13. Feb 26, 2009 #13 of 1485
    crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Not sure if this is TA related but here goes...

After the initial pain of installing the TA I am receiving all of the channels that I expected to receive. However, I have lost about 12 SD channels. When I tune any of these channels I get "Searching for signal...." message. After checking the DVR Diagnostics page I have discovered that all of these channels are at frequency 687000khz. I have passed that info on to the TWC tech I have been working with.

I have also experienced the reboot problem, I noticed the message being displayed on the TiVo twice now. I didn't know if was a reboot issue until reading it here.

14. Feb 26, 2009 #14 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Just turned on the tele and was *again*greeted to the "A Tuning Adapter Has Been Detected" screen... ;( Lovely...

15. Feb 26, 2009 #15 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Perhaps you could check for what time it rebooted and keep a little log.... You will probably find a pattern to the times.

TA Diags... hit select twice... bottom of the page 'BOOTED" with time and date below.

16. Feb 26, 2009 #16 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Great tip... Thanks. Hopefully they will occur in the daytime when I am NOT recording anything. And hopefully, the issue gets fixed soon so I can stop worrying about it...

17. Feb 26, 2009 #17 of 1485
    crazywater

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Raleigh/Durham (actually in Wake Forest). These are the channels;

Channels that will not tune;

8 – WUVC 687khz QAM256
    23 – WGN America 687khz QAM256
    32 - ESPN 2 687khz QAM 256
    49 – Sci Fi 687khz QAM256
    54 – TV Land 687khz QAM 256
    58 – Fox News 687khz QAM 256
    59 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
    60 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256
    67 – TCM 687khz QAM 256
    74 – Noggin 687khz QAM 256
    98 – TV Guide no frequency at all...
    359 – HGTV 687khz QAM 256
    360 – Food Network 687khz QAM 256

18. Feb 26, 2009 #18 of 1485
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    When you try to tune one of these... what does 'Signal Lock', 'Program Lock' and 'Tune Complete' indicate in DVR Diagnostics? All 'Yes'?

Both my tuners are tied up now or I would check it here but I know my wife has recorded stuff from WGNAmerica successfully with TA.

19. Feb 26, 2009 #19 of 1485
    crazywater

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Signal Lock and Program Lock are NO...I do not have Tune Complete, Search Complete is Yes.

20. Feb 26, 2009 #20 of 1485
    dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    BIG GLITCH! While watching ER the "Tuning Adapter Found" screen popped up twice. I had to select "continue". Then had to restart program and FF back to appropriate spot. Each time the interruption happened I had to go back and restart the program from the beginning. Tivo seemed to have lost where I had last left off.

It seems like the TA is not ready for prime time. Sorry for the bad pun! But it's very appropriate...

I think I am going to go ahead and disconnect the TA for now before it messes up an important recording...