1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Cable Oct. 8, 2013 upcoming channel lineup change

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skaggs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1 of 53
    skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Time Warner in Albany, NY has announced they will be changing their channel lineup on October 8, 2013.

For example, my TiVo Season Pass to Showtime's Homeland on channel 1885 will have it's channel switched to 551.

• How will this affect my season passes?
    • Will I need to modify anything on my TiVo units?
    • There are no more dedicated HD channels. How do I insure my recordings are in HD?

I'm sure there are other implications. Do I need to do anything to prepare for this change?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/tv/my-channels.html

From the website link above:

Find your favorites faster.
    Channels 100 and above will be reorganized by genre. Channels 1-99 will be the same.

Always get the best picture.
    You'll automatically receive the best quality picture possible on any channel you choose. No more searching between Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) channels.

2. Oct 2, 2013 #2 of 53
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That part doesn't work with TiVo. Their boxes can be programed so that if you enter channel 8 it will detect that you have an HD box and redirect you to the HD version which is actually on channel 708 or whatever. But with a TiVo if you type in 8 you get the SD version that's actually assigned to channel 8. Apparently whatever technology they're using for that redirect is not CableCARD compatible.

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 53
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Season passes will automatically adjust to the new lineup , but not until your TiVo receives an updated channel lineup for Albany NY. In my experience, lineup changes can take up to 7 days until they reach the TiVo. You 'll need to be vigilant until the update and potentially set manual recordings to compensate .

4. Oct 2, 2013 #4 of 53
  5. Oct 2, 2013 #5 of 53
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Not always true. Some cable systems will remap to the HD version on a TiVo.

I think this is annoying, since some HD channels stretch/skew/mangle SD content on the HD version of the channel, and I want to watch the un-mangled version on the SD channel.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #6 of 53
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've seen that a few times. I wish the Zoom button worked on HD content and not just SD. Would make things like that easier to deal with. Although the aspect button on my TV does work, so I still have a way around it.

7. Oct 3, 2013 #7 of 53
    k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    That seems to only be the case for Analog SD channels -- here in Rochester NY we are scheduled for the new system on Oct 15th, but already most SD Digital channels (above 100 and below 1000) are now showing 1080i instead of 480i on TiVo. It appears they are doing it in two phases: the first unannounced phase, send HD to HD boxes (resulting in duplicates on previously SD channels); the second on the specified date, remap to the new channel scheme, eliminating the duplicate channel numbers.

8. Oct 8, 2013 #8 of 53
    skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    The lineup change happened this morning.

The way I found out was when I tuned to channel 1810, which is normally the HD version of WTEN 10 (local ABC affiliate) and instead found the Playboy-on-demand channel.

My three TiVos have not downloaded the new channel lineup, which is wreaking havoc with my season passes.

9. Oct 9, 2013 #9 of 53
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I don't know that you want to do this, but there is a Digital Rebuild on Zap2it's listings. You can redo the guided setup and use that. You will have to change back however after the regular lineup is correct. It may or may not be worth it for you. Also, many of your season passes may not automatically transition anyways. The channel ID on the Zap2it listing is the SD one, not the HD one. If that ends up that way, it looks like this might be pretty messy for you and you may have to remake all your season passes.

10. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    One way that things "might" be easier if you have the issues with the channel names changing is if you have a second Tivo. I was given an option of choosing a channel when transferring Season Passes via the website.

11. the block

the block New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Skaggs you have to re-do guided setup and make sure you do advanced options after selecting TWC as your cable provider. After that you are presented with about 4 different lineups. Mine was Schenectady - Extended Digital Rebuild, something like that. After that it took a couple tries but I finally got my new guide. Unfortunately, NONE of the season passes fixed themselves to the new channel numbers, so I have to re-do the whole thing. I'm super excited about it.

12. HowHH

HowHH New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I expected that I would have to redo my season passes. What I did not expect was that I would lose HD for the broadcast channels.

Example: I manually changed 1810 for WTEN for the new channel as indicated by TW. Previously 1810 was received in HD. The new channel for WTEN is SD only. The supposed redirection to the HD version is not happening for TIVO. Would having a tuning adaptor fix this, or is the problem at TW's end?

13. the block

the block New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    You have to stay out of the 1-99's on a TiVo or you will only get the SD feed. If I recall correctly, only a TWC box or DVR will automatically detect the HD version of the feed in that range. For the local networks, find them in the 1200's, you'll get them in HD. Everything else should be in the 100s-??? (I don't have the new channel numbers/categories in front of me or memorized to know how far up it goes) in HD.

14. HowHH

HowHH New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I don't have the numbers in front of me either, but even the new broadcast channel numbers in the 1200's came through in SD. Are they coming through in HD for you on your Tivo?

15. the block

the block New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, though I also have a tuning adapter.

16. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
  17. languid

languid New Member

Oct 9, 2013
    hello, I live in albany and have a tivo with cablecard and tuning adapter. my tivo has not updated it's channel lineup or program data yet, I tried to manually update the program information but it is still the same. will this happen? I rebooted the tivo and still nothing.

18. HowHH

HowHH New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    That may be it then. When I get home I will have to hook up the tuning adaptor and see what happens. I picked one up about a month ago when TW offered them to Tivo users for SDV channels, but did not hook it up as the rep said it would probably not change much for me.

19. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    "the block" previously stated to re-do guided setup (see his post above).

I haven't tried this yet, but will later this afternoon.

20. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I repeated Guided Setup and the new channel lineup was successfully downloaded.

I also rebooted both the Tuning Adapter and the TiVo. It appears the shows are in HD.

However, all my Season passes are all screwed up. For example, the Season Pass Manager shows that Homeland is still scheduled to record on the old Showtime channel (1885) instead of the new Showtime channel (551).