1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Cable in L.A. -- what shows can you stream outside home?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by whiteshaft, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1 of 11
    whiteshaft

whiteshaft New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Valley Glen, CA
    Hey Roamio owners with TWC in Los Angeles:

What shows has TWC copy-protected/flagged against streaming outside your home? I was about to pull the trigger on a PLUS model, but I then I remembered how many shows were copy-protected against being transferred to my Mac on my old TivoHD -- pretty much ALL of them. Is it even worth it getting the built-in Stream if you can't watch anything outside your own house??

TIA,

WS

2. Jun 2, 2014 #2 of 11
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not in LA, but Time Warner Cable generally copy protects everything except for the local broadcast channels.

3. Jun 2, 2014 #3 of 11
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes with TWC don't bother unless most of what you record is from local channels. Slingbox is a better option for your case most likely.

4. Jun 3, 2014 #4 of 11
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    And if you go the Slingbox route and want HD video, you'll still need a Plus anyway for its Component outputs, since the HDMI output connected to a Slingbox will respect the copyright flags.

5. Jun 3, 2014 #5 of 11
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Or use a Mini with the Slingbox instead of the Pro/Plus. And just use the component dongle and stereo audio dongle.

6. Jun 3, 2014 #6 of 11
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Assuming he actually needs a Mini. If he has no use at all for a Mini other than the component output, he'd be better off getting the Plus. A Mini w/lifetime retails for $250 but the difference in full retail between the base model and the Plus is only $200.

7. Jun 3, 2014 #7 of 11
    whiteshaft

whiteshaft New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Valley Glen, CA
    Yeah, no use for a Mini here. My wife doesn't care about TiVo access on our old TV in the bedroom, just the main one in the living room. I think I'll still get the Plus so I can stream to my iPad all over the house; I'll do some tests to see what channels work OOH but since I also have the HBOGO and Showtime apps I think I'll have access to most of the stuff I want to see anyway. It's just annoying if you're on a business trip and you want to watch something you recorded at home off AMC or FX and it won't stream...

8. Jun 3, 2014 #8 of 11
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    There is also the TWC TV app:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/twc-tv.html

It allows you to stream on-demand content and live TV channels to various mobile devices, Roku, and Samsung Smart TVs.

9. Jun 3, 2014 #9 of 11
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    But that's only for streaming within your home right? The Cox app has that limitation at least.

10. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah you might be right. I've never tried using it for OOH streaming.

11. whiteshaft

whiteshaft New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Valley Glen, CA
    FIELD REPORT:

I recorded two shows on my Roamio Plus last night -- "Daily Show" and "Catfish". Both those channels (CC and MTV) appear copy-protected so I could not copy them to my iPad for offline viewing. I could watch them within the home (though they kept buffering and stuttering). Today I took my iPad to the office and tried to watch them OOH, got this message:

Away From Home Network
    While you're away from your home network, some options are not available. To access all options, connect to the same Wi-Fi network as your TiVo DVR.​

While this doesn't specifically say it's copy-protected, I wonder if that's what's happening. I need to confirm that I've set up OOH streaming when I get back home.