1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THR22-100 internal disk upgrades

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by leres, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1 of 17
    leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    The stock 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD drive found in the THR22-100 is probably running custom firmware; when connected to a PC, it give errors or hangs the bios depending on the motherboard. This probably isn't due to SATA locking as unlocking sofware reports the drive as unlocked with unknown problems; copying the original drive does not appear possible at all.

Meanwhile, the THR22 behaves like DirecTV DVRs in that it will format a blank internal drive and then start using it. And the resulting disk has a partition layout that the mfslayout.sh script on the JMFS iso can read.

So what is probably is possible is to install a blank consumer drive and then later either make an image copy to a new drive of the same size or using the JMFS iso to copy/expand to a larger drive. Of course JMFS has a size limitation of 2TB so it might be best to just start with a 2TB drive. That way a simple image copy could be used to replace a failing drive or even make periodic backups.

2. Jan 2, 2012 #2 of 17
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    why worry about getting a new drive formatted and then backing up? I'd only bother with backing up once you start putting recordings on it, but there's no need to get an image of a drive in order to do other upgrades later on (or on other boxes)

3. Jan 2, 2012 #3 of 17
    leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    Sure, there's no point in backing up until you have recordings on the drive. But I think what's more valuable is the thumbs database. In the past I used two drives of the same size; I did image copies and then swapped them every 3 to 6 months. So even if a drive completely fried, I wouldn't have to start over.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 17
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I would worry that pulling the drive every 3 months and attaching it to a PC for copy purposes is more likely to cause drive failure than anything else. Your backup plan is the your biggest need for a backup plan.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 17
    leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    That's hilarious!

In my experience, hard drives are not fragile (e.g. they are not sugar cookies). And it's not absolutely necessary to pull the hard drive to back it up, you can just remove the connectors.

Thanks for brightening my Sunday morning.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 17
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Oh I agree they aren't fragile. But they were not made to be installed and uninstalled dozens of times either. Static charges, connector wear, broken wires. It's asking for trouble. But you won't care because you'll have a backup.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 17
    leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    If that's true I guess I'll have to accept the risk that my HDs will fail due to nominal handling if I keep this THR22 for 10 years.

Too funny.

8. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Check out the copying thread on DBSTalk. They have a method to copy the contents from DTV DVRs. Maybe the same sort of thing would work on the TiVo drive.

9. leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    Copying from an HR10 is different than from a THR22. But as I already said when I started this thread, I believe it's possible to use a JMFS aware copy process to copy a consumer drive formatted in a THR22 to another consumer drive.

But trying to do this with the 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD that comes stock in a THR22 won't work because there's something "different" with those drives and they won't talk to PCs.

10. chrissexton1956

chrissexton1956 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    does anyone have a Premire on the same network with new THR22 TiVo I have 4 OTA Premieres with 2 tb drives so 317 hours x 4 boxes and I want to know before I go back to DTV with a TiVo if I will be able to copy shows to and from my exsisting Premieres
    Thanks for any info you have

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Not possible.

12. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    You only use the PC to get the SATA interfaces required. The PC boots from a form of linux on a CD. Then a bunch of linux commands are used to copy the disk with content onto the empty disk.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760&highlight=drive+copy

13. leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    Yes, I know how this all works and I've done it dozens of times over the last 12 years.

The problem is, there's something "special" about the 500GB drive the THR22's ship with. The PC bios can't talk to it. However, if you hook up a blank off the shelf (e.g. consumer) drive and let the THR22 format it, the result is something (a) a PC can access and (b) a JMFS linux CD can talk to.

14. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    So just keep the original drive for return to DirecTV and get other drives to install and do backups.

15. leres

leres New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Alameda, CA...
    This is not my first rodeo.

16. bacon612

bacon612 New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Hey guys. I just attempted to upgrade my thr22-100 from the stock 500 gig drive to a spare seagate 1.5 tb drive i had laying around.

I first was going to use winmfs to copy the contents of my stock drive to the larger replacement when I noticed that after removing the stock drive, and plugging it into a sata to usb kit I had, it wouldnt spin up.

I tried several different power supplies without any luck.

I find it hard to believe that the stock unit just randomly sh*t the bed. (Though I suppose its possible)

Does this sound familiar to any of you? I just popped in the 1.5 tb drive now and its formatting in the tivo. I was kind of hoping to be able to copy content from the old drive.

Any thoughts?

17. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There does not appear to be a way to copy the content and expand the drive size. winmfs doesn't support the THR22 disk. I tried a lot of suggested methods and gave up.

I haven't had issues with the drive spinning up, but I suppose it's possible that it needed a command to do so. Not worth worrying about since you can't do anything with it anyway.