1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the new DirecTV TiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by buscuitboy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1 of 40
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I am thinking of possibly switching from Comcast to DirecTV. I love my TiVos (Series 3 & two Premieres), but Comcast's billing is HORRIBLE and it seems like they raise the rates every month.

I see how DirecTV FINALLY has the new TiVo based DVR equipment, but from the initial looks of it, it seems like a 1/2 baked product & a complete disappointment compared to some of their own other equipment (Specifically the new GENIE system). No Netflix, no media transfer, etc.

Is there any real reason to pick the DirecTV Tivo over their own GENIE hardware? Or is the DirecTV TiVo really just a piece of junk as it appears to be?

2. Jan 6, 2013 #2 of 40
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The new DirecTV TiVo is not "a piece of junk". It certainly does lack the features of the DirecTV Plus receivers built on the identical hardware platform. If the TiVo experience is the most important to you, then the THR22 is a functional choice (though it does have its quirks). Otherwise the HR34 or HR24 would be my choice. I have the THR22 and an HR21-700.

3. Jan 6, 2013 #3 of 40
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you want the TiVo Experience from 2007 minus Netflix and Hulu and MRV, it's fine. It is 2013 and they are selling you a Series 3. Oh wait, they aren't even selling it. You have to pay as much as if you were buying it, but they want it back when you're done.

4. Jan 7, 2013 #4 of 40
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, this is about what I figured....a 1/2 baked product that is 5 years behind the technology curve. How this thing was allowed to be released the way it was is beyond me. I imagine ALL those that were waiting YEARS for TiVo to come back to DirecTV are extremely disappointed with this offering.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #5 of 40
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I wonder how many times we are going to rehash this. The THR22 delivers what many were asking for - an HR10 that was compatible with the MPEG4 HD. Yes, it would have been nice if it also had all the features DirecTV has added to their own DVRs, which TiVo either doesn't have or has an incompatible implementation, but this was very unlikely.

For me, the only real disappointment with the THR22 has been the complete abandonment of its users by DirecTV in that there have been zero software updates in a year despite several acknowledged issues. But by and large it does what my wife wants, which is all that matters to me. (If it had not been for my wife's strong preference for the TiVo UI, I would never have bothered with the THR22.)

The THR22 is a competent DVR with a responsive UI that will be familiar to TiVo fans. It is not a TiVo UI combined with the DirecTV Plus DVR feature set.

6. Jan 7, 2013 #6 of 40
    laddanator

laddanator New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I have a HR10-250 and love it. I do not care about HD but I had an upgrade coming and was going through my local dealer as I like to support local folks, anyway was going to get the new THR22 for free and figured if it was as good as my HR10-250, I would get it but he called his distributor and they said you could only get the THR22 from D*TV because each distributor order a thousand THR22 boxes and no one was selling them so D*TV bought them all back. People are highly disappointed in the outdated Tivo software being used and as Steve said, no software support. With that being said, I would not pay $200 dollars for a box with "old" software on it but I would get one if it's free because I love my "old" HR10-250.

Any word on if Tivo will be releasing a new box to D*TV? When I say new, I mean like new hardware and new Tivo software?

7. Jan 7, 2013 #7 of 40
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No word. Highly unlikely.

8. Jan 8, 2013 #8 of 40
    Trebor1

Trebor1 New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    I wish they would just fix the one they have in the stream now.
    I am getting tired of reseting the unit to get back the buffer / recording ability on the second tuner.

9. Jan 8, 2013 #9 of 40
    BOBCAT

BOBCAT New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    It might be a hard drive issue.
    I had that issue on one of my 3 THR22's.
    I upgraded it to a 1TB Seagate pipeline, and haven't had any trouble since.
    My 2 stock units run just fine, no trouble at all.

10. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I'm sure the THR22 is a good piece of equipment and don't doubt it delivers most of what current TiVos offer, but I was just pointing out more the fact that it seems like it was a waste of time to offer this Direc Tivo hardware at all. They were probably better off just not releasing it at all at this point & move forward with their own equipment. Oh well.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You should. It doesn't even offer everything that TiVos from 2006 had.

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Such as? Certainly it offers more than any DTiVo did in 2006 and I can't think of anything the standalone TiVos in 2006 offered that the THR22 can't do.

Now if you want to compare to standalone TiVos in more recent years, even from when the new DirecTV TiVo was announced, I agree. But that was never promised. The THR22 can do everything the HR10-250 could do and more. (The THR22 is not "hackable", which is a loss for me, but I fully expected that.)

13. laddanator

laddanator New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    That's why I stuck with the HR10-250 because I am able to "hack it" vs the can't hack (I assume) THR22

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR10 was very nice. But no more HD. That was more important to me.

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    MRV? TiVo Desktop? OTA tuner? Remote scheduling?

These were all available on the Series 3 at launch in 2006. Can't do any of them on a THR-22, except you can add an OTA tuner box to it for additional cost.

16. chepworth

chepworth New Member

May 24, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I recently received the ThR22 and like many aspects of it compared to the DTV HR24. I have 2 HR24's and 1 HR 22 as well. One issue I have is compatibility with DTV on demand. I have it hooked up via SWM with a decca reciever. I have a solid connection and can download a few things, however the majority of the time the selected show goes to the que in "preparing" mode and then disappears. Is this a common issue, and if so do you think they will ever get it fixed?

17. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ah, selective memory is a wonderful thing.

The Series 3 was launched in September 2006. MRV? Not available until the end of 2007. Remote Scheduling? The THR22 can do that. TiVo Desktop - well, it could stream music and photos, and guess what, so can the THR22 without needing a dedicated "desktop" application. OTA? Available if you need it - most DirecTV users don't. Oh, and the Series 3 cost $800 in 2006 (with a hard drive half the size of the THR22.)

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I had MRV before 2006.

TiVo Desktop is for more than music and photos. How do you transfer shows to your PC and burn them to a DVD with the THR22?

Whatever. You're happy with your crappy DirecTV junkbox. I would never be.

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    MRV was not introduced until late 2007.

Don't get me wrong - I never claimed that the THR22 can do everything today's standalone TiVos can do. You specifically says 2006 so I took you up on that. But I also never said that I was "happy" with the THR22. I'm not. I am pretty happy with my HR21, though the one TiVo feature I do miss is the ability to burn shows to DVD (or save them in general.) My wife, however, is happy with the THR22 and it was for her that I got it. She doesn't give two cents about streaming, copying to DVD, MRV or OTA. She just wants the familiar TiVo UI to record her shows - and the THR22 delivers that.

I certainly agree that there is a lot of untapped potential in the THR22 and wish I understood why so many of the HRxx features were not enabled, but in the end the THR22 is an acceptable replacement for the HR10.

I will disagree with the characterization of "crappy DirecTV junkbox". That does not describe the THR22 nor the HR2x series. (Then again, given the complaints I read about the Premiere, I have to wonder about glass houses, etc.)

20. ccchuck

ccchuck New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    if you have lifetime pvr fee with SD tivos is it transferable to a HDTivo, or is there more fees?