1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts about the 'cons' from this review on a TiVoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by videobruce, Dec 29, 2012.

1. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    This is a old review for a older product, but I would like to know how you guys feel about these comments from this review;
    http://dvr.productwiki.com/tivo-tcd652160/
    Especially the first three points. What does he mean "HD video from certain broadcasters"? And "HD picture quality through internal tuner is much lower". I know many have stated the sensitivity is suppose to be lower than the original Series three, but I never read anything about what was said here.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Review was done when the software was at 9.2, so obviously those bugs got fixed? :p

Maybe the reviewer didn't know what he was doing. :D

3. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Why would it be "obvious" that those bugs were fixed?? When did you see any firmware "fix" every bug in a device?

Anyone else? I'm looking for either confirmation or denial of the above "cons".

4. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    My TivoHD picks up every local broadcaster. There is a problem with Tribune's RF assignment for one subchannel in the lineup, but doing a manual channel scan found it and added it to the tunable channels (there's just no guide data for the tunable version.) I've tried communicating with Tribune and Tivo, but gave up after several months since the channel in question is only an SD copy of the main channel. The bottom line is the channel tunes fine after a manual channel scan. The tuner in general is top notch IMHO.

Not sure how to measure this objectively, but I have no complaints about my TivoHD's picture quality.
    I don't have cable, so can't comment.

I can't remember the last time my TivoHD locked up on me, if it ever did.

The performance of the USB G adapter is lackluster in regards to throughput, but in my experience it makes and keeps a connection fine. I've recently replaced my G adapters with wireless N bridges (one Tivo brand and two third party brands) which I'd recommend to maximize throughput if you plan on transferring shows a lot.

The interface isn't remarkably speedy, but it's definitely not slow. At worst I have to give it a second or two for a list to fully populate before I can enter the next command without the "bong" sound effect telling me it's too soon. I've no real complaints with the interface responsiveness.

I hope this answers your questions. Again, I use my TivoHDs for OTA only, so YMMV for cable use.

5. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Thanks.
    I don't know if he is talking about 'cable' or OTA. CATV, it could be anything. OTA, reception issue.
    This is what I'm most interested in. I have to assume he made some comparison between this and another 'tuner' to make this statement.
    He doesn't state which functions. For all I know it could be a "remote" issue.

It's this PQ comment that I was the most concerned about.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    We've had an HD for going on three years now, and I find NONE of those are problems. We're perfectly happy with it...

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's obvious to me because I've never seen any of the "bugs" that you listed from the article. I suppose if I could roll the software back to 9.2 on my Tivo, maybe I would.

I think, TiVo did have some problems when they first introduced their branded wireless adapters, but again, a software update must have fixed it because I haven't read of anyone having a problem in a very long time.

Yeah, and who knows what that 'other tuner' was? Was it in another TV or was it part of some high dollar testing equipment?
    It would help to know what he used to test against the Tivo.

8. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I only read a couple other posts before I decided to chime in. Almost all the cons are no longer applicable because analog broadcasts (cable or OTA) no longer exist. Everything everywhere is digital. Do not confuse Standard Def with analog. Digital signals (think packets instead of waves) have none of the severe signal degradation issues common to analog.

A digital signal is a digital signal, (a packet of data is a packet of data) and there is no difference between line providers. The only difference is line noise and interference and signal strength which vary by location more than by provider. Digital filters keep your signal cleaner than analog.

Over the Air (antenna based) signal is a result of distance, interference (buildings, trees, terrain), and antenna quality. Digital OTA has almost eliminated the old fashioned power line interferences. Think FM vs AM for signal quality differences between digital and analog.

Series 3 / HD system is a great tool. I purchased a used one , added a comcast cablecard and couldn't be happier with my LG LCD 50" system.

Added feature is it replaces the cable box by virtue of cable card. Even if you allow your Tivo subscription to lapse, the unit will continue to provide you with cable signal decoding, dual signal recording. No guide , etc but you still have pause / record functionality.

9. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    OTA correct, CATV WRONG! Our cable TV system still has over 50 analog channels. Not all systems have dumped analog yet. ;)

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Any analog channels you still have are probably duplicated as digital channels in the lineup. If you use a CableCard, you will get the digital version.

It is only a matter of time before every cable company drops all analog channels to gain the space for more digital channels. Those 50 analog channels are using room that could carry about 500 digital SD channels or about 100 digital HD channels.

11. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    It doesn't matter for the original poster of this thread, as the TiVo in question is only for Digital OTA, but for the record, there is still analog TV here in Denver. It is low power and mostly religious/Spanish, but it is still there. The government said they were getting rid of all analog TV broadcasts, but they lied. I am just glad they don't lie to us about anything else. ;-D
    Not that it matters as far as the analog broadcasts, as they are even more worthless than digital over the air broadcasts, as they are such low power.

12. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    And the quality due to excessive compression is worse.
    More like 150-200 HD channels. ;)

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Looks like all of those cons were added by one user named booker so you'd be better off asking him but I've not seen any of these issues although the last is a subjective judgement.

Scott

14. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Enough said.
    I was just surprised about the comments since I didn't see them before after manu searches and reading.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Since the TiVo HD can't use an external tuner for HD, this statement is nonsensical. If he was comparing HD channels (internal tuner) to SD (external), he's out of his mind. If he was comparing SD channels internal vs. external, then he doesn't know what he's doing. And if he meant to compare the TiVo HD's internal tuner to the tuner of some other device (not connected to the TiVo), then he's just a terrible writer.

Edit: Really, the TiVo HD can't use an external tuner for SD channels, either, since it has no way to control the box, like a Series 2 does. So who knows what this guy was trying to say?

16. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I go back to my original statement, SD is not same as analog. There are a lot of reasons why catv sends sd channels with digital signals and very few catv operators are still pumping out analog signals for use on analog sets.

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    All SD is not analog, but I'm pretty sure that in this context all analog is SD.

18. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I'm sure he was referring to either a TV's internal tuner, or a outboard ATSC or QAM tuner. Apparently, you don't understand his statement. He's not talking about running a external tuner through a TiVo, just a A/B PQ comparison between two sources with the same material (station) using different inputs of his TV or monitor.
    He made no mention about SD.
    Why?? Is it because you disagree with his observations, didn't understand what he stated?

19. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    SD is NTSC. Analog is SD. SD can be analog or digital.

20. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm glad you're sure. What I see is that he failed to communicate exactly what he meant. I can make inferences, but they're only that. And that's why he's a terrible writer. What I (and you) have inferred that he meant, does not correspond to what he actually said. He's using his terms incorrectly, in an illogical, confusing way.