1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought I knew what I was doing, maybe not

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by ketchingup, Jul 11, 2014.

1. ketchingup

ketchingup New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    I bought a roamio and it is working great on an antenna. I also bought a mini and ran a cat 5 network cable between the two, but it is not working on the mini. What am I missing here? Do I need a router or something?

I am not a techie.

Thanks for the help in advance

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Yes you need a router, the Mini needs to be connected to the local network (and internet) also. How is your Roamio connected to the Internet?

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You answered your own question. Put a router between them.

4. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    It s a shame you can't just assign static ip addresses on the Roamio and mini but both also need internet access.

How is the Roamio getting to the internet? You might be able to use moca depending on how your home network is configured, but you would at the least need to buy one moca adapter, possibly two.

5. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Don't need a router "between them" but rather the ethernet attached to both with the router in between your home network and your internet provider.

6. ketchingup

ketchingup New Member

Jul 11, 2014

My Roamio is connecting to the internet via a Linksys wireless router that I have in my office. I get my internet via cable, but my tv via antenna.

The cable running through my house is dedicated to the internet. My tv antenna is doing a single drop from my attic down to my Roamio.

I have physically connected the roamio and mini with a network cable.

Do I need to move my cable modem and router to my mini and then physically connect the mini to router using a cable connection and still leave the network connection from the Roamio?

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The mini will need to be connected to the router as well as the Roamio. If wireless is working for your Roamio now, it may not for Mini. They really both need a hardwired connection, either ethernet or moca to work correctly together. Connecting them directly to each other will not work.

8. ketchingup

ketchingup New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    If I plug both the roamio and the mini into my wireless router will that complete the needed connection or do the mini and roamio need to be directly connected to each other?

9. rickz0rz

rickz0rz New Member

Jul 2, 2014
    MI
    Plug both the Mini and Roamio into the router and you should be set!

10. eboydog

Mar 23, 2006
    Yep, if you can get cat 5 cables/ethernet to them, that's a much better option than moca , forget I mentioned moca as that's usually an option if you can't get ethernet to them.

11. ketchingup

ketchingup New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    I was going to move my cable modem and router to the same location as the Roamio and then plug both it and the mini into the router.....BUT I also have Magic Jack plugged into the router and unfortunately no close phone jack to the Roamio location.

So I am going to try a using a Linksys Wireless Universal Media Connector. I get a strong wireless signal at the Roamio so this way I can plug both the Roamio and the Mini in to an ethernet port.

I'll let you know how it works out.

12. ketchingup

ketchingup New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    I decided that my 20th century Linksys G 2.4 router needed to be upgraded, so I bought a Linksys WRT1900 AC.

Got it set up and talking to my Linksys WUMC710 Media Connector via Wi-fi and plugged my Roamio and Mini into the WUMC710 ethernet ports.

It is working out great.

So there is a partial solution to not running wiring.