1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinks twice before you post on ebay.

Discussion in 'eBay Auction Central' started by replaytv, Apr 13, 2012.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Well, I just got shafted by another buyer on ebay. Now that ebay has made it so you can only say nice things about buyers, the buyers will shaft you if they don't like the way you cross your Ts!
    I sold a Tivo and mailed the buyer it within the time that I said that it would take to get there. But he said that wasn't fast enough, and gave me a bad rating. My feeling is I did what I said I was going to do and he shouldn't have bid on it if he didn't like how long it was going to take. I said it would be there between 5 and 10 days, and it got there in 5 days. Or he should have requested and paid for extra shipping cost to have it overnighted or whatever he wanted. I talked to ebay and they said 'Tough luck sucker!!'

I have had things like this happen so many times. I just spent an hour talking to ebay people today about a similar incident, that just kept saying the same thing over and over. I don't think they understood good enough English to do anything but read from a script. Katy refused to bring a supervisor online and then dumped me to a dead line that hung up on me.

So be warned... if you sell something on ebay, the buyer can say anything the want...lies, ridiculous things, and ebay won't do a thing about it. They can ruin your years of building up a perfect reputation in an instant, and ebay will do nothing about it. Even if their emails support you instead of them. Ebay doesn't care a bit. I had a perfect 100% rating for years, and now one person ruined it.

If anyone knows any other methods of selling other than here or on craigslist, I would be interested. I hate to have to use ebay again.

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I think you have to ship on time and post your tacking info to the ebay site. If you do all of that then they aren't allowed to use that in the detail ratings or comments for feedback.

3. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    That isn't true. When I talked with ebay they had a list of times that they would change or delete feedback, and none of that was listed. They were very specific and led me to the part of the ebay site that talked about feedback.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html
    "What are the guidelines?

eBay may remove or adjust Feedback ratings or comments if:

The Feedback contains inappropriate comments, or violates one of our Feedback policies.

At the time the item ended or the Feedback was left, either member participating in the transaction was unable to form a legally binding contract.

The buyer or seller provided eBay with an email address that is invalid, and the buyer or seller couldn't be contacted at the time of the transaction. See our false or missing contact information policy.

A buyer mistakenly leaves negative or neutral Feedback for the wrong seller, informs eBay of the error, and has left the same Feedback for the intended seller.

A member is suspended by eBay for behavior that we've determined is malicious enough to warrant removing all the negative and neutral Feedback they've left for sellers. Note: If a member is suspended within 90 days of registration, all Feedback left by that member is removed.

eBay is provided with a valid court order requesting Feedback removal.

A buyer fails to respond to a reminder about an unpaid item and the unpaid item is recorded on their account.

A buyer's communication within the Resolution Center undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and the eBay Feedback system. For example, if a buyer responds to an unpaid item reminder with nonsense text simply to retain the ability to leave Feedback for a seller.

eBay determines at a later date that the seller met the requirements for an automatic 5-star detailed seller rating for the shipping and handling charges category. In these instances, we may adjust the rating to 5 stars.

A buyer leaves a seller negative or neutral Feedback that refers to customs delays or customs fees (see below).

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I don't sell very often on eBay but between them and PayPal, I have absolutely no desire to ever sell on there. Also be aware that if a buyer files a dispute in PayPal instead of in eBay, you will not be able to recoup your sellers fees for a returned item. I sold a Tivo that the buyer claimed did not work (sounded like buyers remorse) and learned that lesson the hard way.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Ok, I've seen it to be true. Maybe there is something that you're not saying. All I know is that they have changed it for me in the past.

I shipped when I said I would and provided tracking. So, maybe your situation is a little different.

6. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    Just getting bad feedback is far from the worst that can happen on ebay. And unless you are selling a lot, what do you care about the bad feedback? If you are selling a lot, you know that you can get bad feedback unjustly. If you aren't selling a lot, you can start a new id and start over with no feedback.

A much bigger problem, especially for people who are not very experienced with ebay is that if you sell on ebay, you are offering a money back guarantee no matter what you say in the listing. Buyers can easily get a refund. Most of the time they have to ship the item back, but scammers have been known to ship back a different item. Or if you fail to get the delivery confirmation or signature confirmation, they may not even have to ship the item back. I don't recommend selling on ebay for casual sellers - you really need to do your homework to protect yourself.

7. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I was wondering about the feature that ebay offers with your money back with shipping included, and wonder where that money comes from. I imagined it came from the buyer, but somethings made me think it didn't always.
    Sounds like ebay is getting scarier all the time. When I first started on ebay about 10 years ago, I never had trouble buying or selling, but is seems now there are just a bunch of people that want to complain and dispute the silliest things. And ebay supports those cry babies totally.
    eBay seems to be a great place to buy, but terrible to sell.

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of choice out there. I've tried to find alternatives and there just are not any good ones.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Sell on Amazon marketplace. I've sold 5 things so far with no trouble. The best thing is that you can set your price and wait until somebody bites.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    I can't remember the last time I bought off ebay. In the past the cost savings made them worth the risk but I don't see many cost savings there anymore so I might as well buy where I can take it back no hassle.

So much work you have to put into reading all the feedback etc...

11. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I actually buy a lot of stuff on ebay. And have good results for the most part. It is a pain to have to ship stuff back that isn't 'as described' but that rarely happens. And with eBays' newer policy of guaranteeing your money back to include shipping, I have good luck. I buy lots for batteries for less than what they cost me at Walmart or anywhere else, including shipping! Mostly speciality batteries for older cameras. About the only thing I really have had trouble with is a handle for my tailgate on my truck. The chrome is failing off after a couple of years. That shouldn't be happening.

It is selling that I am having trouble. But I will look into Amazon.

12. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Everytime I have ever sold anything on Ebay I always put on my auctions in big bold letters Your feedback gets mine!

I know a lot of people dont like that, but its just a way of protecting myself against me giving feedback first, and then someone turning around and giving me a bad feedback for some out of the blue reason. I have been burned that way in the past, so I wont do it again. Some people have written me and said they wont buy from me that way, and I just tell them well if you cant agree to that then maybe its not good for us to do business. Selling on Ebay can be a pain though. I buy way more than I sell anyways.

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Does that even matter anymore? Sellers can't leave negative feedback.

14. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Well I suppose it matters because you can still leave a comment that everyone will see and can read, and then if they leave negative feedback for the seller, you can reply to their negative feedback as well. So there still is an option, and I do read others feedback when they are bidding on something of mine. I have been known to reject someones bid if they are a new buyer and have no feedback as well.

15. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I wish there was a way that I could reject, or at least filter whom can bid on my items. I know there are some controls when you list, but they are more of a joke than something useful. It would be nice after a auction that you could check the bidders record, and then if you don't like the look of them, you could offer the item to the next bidder (and get less money). But the way it is now, if you reject someone they can leave bad feedback on you and in most cases eBays says 'Sorry sucker!!'

16. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Did they eliminate where you could reject bids as well? Used to you could look at someones feedback that places a bid on your item before the auction ends, and if they had bad feedback or no feedback you could reject their bid before the auction ends. Maybe they changed that too, been awhile since I did it.

17. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I stopped selling on eBay. I have a 500+ rating and I don't want it ruined because of the nonsense. I have two lifetime TiVos sitting unused but I don't want to bother with the headache of incompetent buyers.

18. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I still sell on eBay but I agree the situation with bad buyers is a big problem. I found a site that lists bad buyers, checked to see if a couple of the bad buyers I have dealt with were on the list, they were, I copied and pasted the entire list to my blocked bidders list. I am willing to accept the risk some of those buyers are not really bad. Fortunately after 13 years on eBay, I have only had about 12 bad buyers but about 10 have been since eBay started preventing negative feedback.

19. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Negative comments with positive feedback are removed by eBay at the recipients request.

20. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    That is true as far as feedback, but if someone leaves negative feedback, you can reply to that (it is not leaving feedback) and as long as it doesn't mention paypal or has bad language, it is allowed. Or this is what the ebay agent said and I did leave it and it has not been removed.

Since I talked to eBay, I have found in their literature that I might be able to have my negative feedback removed because the bidder didn't qualify to bid on my item because he didn't have a verified name as required by my listing. I mentioned that a million times to the two agents I talked to, but I found were it was written on their own website, so I might have a chance. The website said that the feedback could be removed if a valid contract wasn't completed. So I am going to write to ebay about that. Or maybe it would be better to call. I am not sure. If I call I might have better luck, as they would need to make a decision then and now and wouldn't have time to discuss it with everyone at break or lunch time.